You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

BEST ATC ever.

Jim Rish

Jim Rish
Posted
Posted (edited)

I remember starting out, and going to KLAX, probably from my other favorite airports, KSFO,  and running into one controller there, probably Los Angeles Centre. What was excellent about him and I, unfortunately, failed to get his name, was that he would simply call off instructions to everybody, including me, after setting your squawk freq. This guy simply knew his stuff. He said not to respond, which I really liked.   You simply pay attention when your reg. sig. is called out and  do what he tells you to do. Not a bunch of pilots running their mouths, trying to reinvent the arrival/approach wheel, trying to be some kinda airborne Marco Polos of navigation. Whoever this controller is, I would like to meet personally. He made this stuff not only sensible, but enjoyable as well.    

Edited by Jim Rish

rocksalot.png

Tim Wong
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am sure pretty the local staff will forward your message to specific controller if you send them the feedback directly. 

https://laartcc.org/feedback

😃

Edited by Tim Wong

Do you want your Virtual Airline to become an official partner on VATSIM or to participate in the VAA Program?
Visit https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/virtual-airlines

Tim Wong
Director of Virtual Airline Relations
VATSIM.net Virtual Airlines and Special Operations Administration
9KMxVhG.png

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Jim Rish said:

What was excellent about him and I, unfortunately, failed to get his name, was that he would simply call off instructions to everybody, including me, after setting your squawk freq. This guy simply knew his stuff. He said not to respond, which I really liked.  

Raises some questions but perhaps they do it differently there.

ACH2118.jpg

Jim Rish
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Tim Wong said:

I am sure pretty the local staff will forward your message to specific controller if you send them the feedback directly. 

https://laartcc.org/feedback

😃

Excellent thought! And thanks for the reply. 😉  I remember it well. It was hectic that day, and I blundered into this military aircraft that I failed to check really bad trim and fuel/weight distribution. I just managed to get the thing stable enough after his orders to flight level and pretty much on speed. After that, it was as if he was flying the aircraft for me. That, and giving everybody else, and their brother's sisters instructions at the same time. Some people might call the sound and tone of his voice on the mic to be monotonous. Not to me, it wasn't. It was fascinating. The even and consistent tone of voice. His consistent volume AND clarity on the mic. If that's considered to be monotony, then sobeit. Using your suggestion, and describing his sort of motif and style that I described, Los Angeles Centre might good and well know of whom I speak. Thanks very much again for the reply.

rocksalot.png

Jim Rish
Posted
Posted

Since then, I stopped flying for awhile and just listened to ATConline from time to time, for windows, or whatever. It's not even close to the same thing as what he did. 😑

rocksalot.png

Jim Rish
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lauri Uusitalo said:

1 hour ago, Lauri Uusitalo said:

The only "question" it raises for me is, why I haven't I run into him again? I was impressed, to say the least, but simply took it for granted, not thinking to stay in touch.

rocksalot.png

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Jim Rish said:

The only "question" it raises for me is, why I haven't I run into him again? I was impressed, to say the least, but simply took it for granted, not thinking to stay in touch.

a very simple reason could be that vatsim has changed over the years and that back when you flew he could have been very active but now doesnt fly or control on the network.