You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC Schedule?

Stephen Olwell

Stephen Olwell
Posted
Posted

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but is there a schedule of upcoming ATC controllers or do they just come online/offline as available?   I'm wondering because it would be great to be able to plan a flight around available ATC. 

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted
Just now, Stephen Olwell said:

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but is there a schedule of upcoming ATC controllers or do they just come online/offline as available?   I'm wondering because it would be great to be able to plan a flight around available ATC. 

aside from vatsim events organised by the different VACC/ARTCC's sometimes atc will just pop in when they feel like that. 

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

There is a service called "VATBOOK". Controllers can announce their ATC sessions through this database and there are quite a few VACC websites that offer this information somewhere (e.g. http://www.vacc.ch/ check the right side of the page). Also, Qutescoop can download and show all ATC bookings in tabular and graphical form:

• Like 1

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

@Stephen Olwell, where in the world do you tend to fly?

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Stephen Olwell
Posted
Posted

Usually in the lower 48, U.S.

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

I find in the U.S., ARTCCs are less likely to use VATBOOK or Qutescoop, which tend to be more popular in Europe. Here, we've gone back and forth several times over trying to publish ATC availability and generally have come to the consensus that, country-wide, there's just too much variety in individuals' opinions to be able to put something together. ATC being a hobby, there's a lot of people who don't feel comfortable with the idea of "booking".

Some ARTCCs, like mine, have created their own systems. In our case, you can find published availability at www.bvartcc.com. I'd say it's about 50-75% accurate, and more so with Center than other positions. Quite often, folks will still come on without warning (as I often do, because of my unpredictable schedule). Other airspaces may do something similar, while others just tend to light up (and close down) as individual controllers' schedules permit.

• Like 3

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

VATUSA has an events calendar at vatusa.net -- that's a good gauge for scheduled coverage.  You can often find controllers online in the sectors adjoining the host facility, as well. 

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Tim Wong
Posted
Posted

Few years ago the policy was made and published by our (now retired) division director, where every controller must book his/her slot if he/she wants to control at a specific time. So if you see a position being booked, you can expect him/her being online (on time) 😂

Apart from that, VATSIM's event calender is quite reliable (including website, forum, Facebook and Twitter) where you can find out where and when ATC will show up 

• Like 2

Do you want your Virtual Airline to become an official partner on VATSIM or to participate in the VAA Program?
Visit https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/virtual-airlines

Tim Wong
Director of Virtual Airline Relations
VATSIM.net Virtual Airlines and Special Operations Administration
9KMxVhG.png

Stephen Olwell
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the responses.  I really appreciate the effort of all the volunteers at vatsim.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Evan Reiter said:

ARTCCs are less likely to use VATBOOK or Qutescoop, which tend to be more popular in Europe

Just for the sake of completeness: VATBOOK is the database (kindly hosted by Michal Rok, author of "vroute") where ATC and flight bookings are saved at. Qutescoop is a "viewing program" to check what's going on at VATSIM, including access to VATBOOK to readout all bookings and display them according the filter that the user has to setup (date+time).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Nicolas Ammann
Posted
Posted

If you want to see vatbook bookings, I can recommend https://vatmm.org/atco/booking

It works on desktop and mobile devices and gives a good overview

Kind regards,

Nicolas Ammann

nicolasammann-2.png