You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How many ground vehicles at an airport?

Matthew Kemp

Matthew Kemp
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Does anyone know how many ground vehicles a commercial airport has? It came up in conversation the other day and I am completely clueless.

Thanks,
Matt

spacer.png

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

Hundreds. Between tugs, ops vehicles, belt loaders, lav trucks, potable water carts, support cars, deicing trucks, so on and so on.. hard to put an exact number on it.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Matthew Bartels said:

Hundreds. Between tugs, ops vehicles, belt loaders, lav trucks, potable water carts, support cars, deicing trucks, so on and so on.. hard to put an exact number on it.

and even airport size dependant.

Matthew Kemp
Posted
Posted

I thought that would be the case  😅

Our example was at Heathrow. Do they have one pushback, bus, stairs, tug, food truck, etc. per aircraft stand?

spacer.png

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Matthew Kemp said:

I thought that would be the case  😅

Our example was at Heathrow. Do they have one pushback, bus, stairs, tug, food truck, etc. per aircraft stand?

it also depends on the aircraft type. wide bodies tend to have more catering tucks compared to narrow bodies. also for fuel truck it is depending on if it is a tanker or a hydrant. stairs are also depending on the aircraft size. busses on passenger numbers. a lot of this equipement is used by the ground handling provider and owned. in some cases the airport owns the equipment. it is more common on short turn arounds to see fixed equipment on stands like stairs, ground power units. fuel, busses, catering vehicles and pushbacks trucks are driving around using a task system.

• 3 weeks later...
Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Ground vehicles

an article I found, from 2013, suggested there were at least 7500 of them in Heathrow. It should have gone up since.... didn’t they add a new terminal after 2013? Gives you an idea of how many you don’t notice

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1