You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

No ATC Night.

John Stockton

John Stockton
Posted
Posted (edited)

I know VATSIM is all about realism, ATC, etc... But, what if we had a 'No ATC Night' once a week? There are all kinds of newbies that would like to try VATSIM but are "terrified" of communication (I was). This would be a nice progression step for them. It would also be interesting to see just how busy this night would be. VATSIM, give yourselves a night off. This night will let newbies get their PTT button set up, practice unicom while getting first time communication jitters out of the way, the list goes on.  Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a war zone (maybe .wallup should be up).

Edited by John Stockton

N313GM, P0: X-Plane 12.01r3, Windows 11, i7-13700k, RTX4080 (16GB), 32GB DDR4 4800

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

I’m not quite sure encouraging ATC to log off is the best way to get beginners on the network.. VATSIM is a network simulating air traffic communications after all.

We do have an event dedicated solely to beginners, called «VATSIM First Wings», where new pilots are aided by patient and friendly ATC as well as mentors from the Pilot Training Department.

Getting started on VATSIM for the first time will never become comfortable. It’s a big leap for many, wandering into very unfamiliar territory. Regardless, you simply have to take the leap; we have all been there at one point. 🙂

• Like 1

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

John Stockton
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mats Edvin Aaro said:

We do have an event dedicated solely to beginners, called «VATSIM First Wings», where new pilots are aided by patient and friendly ATC as well as mentors from the Pilot Training Department.

This is perfect! wasn't aware of it. Thank you.

N313GM, P0: X-Plane 12.01r3, Windows 11, i7-13700k, RTX4080 (16GB), 32GB DDR4 4800

Roger Hanson
Posted
Posted

And a beginner could also try circuits/flights etc from an unmanned area of the world to start with so they get used to setting the aircraft up/departing/arriving all under their own control before venturing into controlled areas.

• Like 1

Regards, Rog Hanson

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

... or use one of any number of more casual multiplayer networks for this purpose. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Jason Schickel
Posted
Posted
On 12/27/2020 at 10:51 AM, Roger Hanson said:

And a beginner could also try circuits/flights etc from an unmanned area of the world to start with so they get used to setting the aircraft up/departing/arriving all under their own control before venturing into controlled areas.

Hi there - question on this!

Brand new member here, excited but nervous to jump in the water.

I want to do exactly this - fly a few circuits from a smaller airport.  I thought about trying KPHN rather than bring in a C152 at KWER, but regardless of airport I need to get on with the closest ATC still, is that correct?  In other words, if there is no ATC at the small airport I want to fly out of (KHPN) should I go up the chain that I see on vPilot until I reach someone (i.e. KLGA tower)?  I want to make sure I'm not clogging up the frequency with ATC folks I don't need to actually be speaking to.

Thanks!

For reference, I'm trying to do what this guy is doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VR5WUzLRFM&t=940s

John Stockton
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/27/2020 at 1:17 AM, Mats Edvin Aaro said:

This thread is the first I've heard of it. Try it. Wish it was around when I started.

Edited by John Stockton

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, John Stockton said:

This thread is the first I've heard of it. Try it. Wish it was around when I started.

I am on these forums most days, and cannot recall ever seeing anything mentioned about this First Wings event.  Dare say it was posted in the events section, but doubt many pilots new to Vatsim would go look in there.   With MSFS being launched, and the resultant surge in new members on Vatsim, perhaps it's worth considering promoting more of these events on a regular basis, say monthly ?     I recall back in my early days on Vatsim we had new pilot nights in the UK for this very purpose.   

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jason Schickel said:

Hi there - question on this!

Brand new member here, excited but nervous to jump in the water.

I want to do exactly this - fly a few circuits from a smaller airport.  I thought about trying KPHN rather than bring in a C152 at KWER, but regardless of airport I need to get on with the closest ATC still, is that correct?  In other words, if there is no ATC at the small airport I want to fly out of (KHPN) should I go up the chain that I see on vPilot until I reach someone (i.e. KLGA tower)?  I want to make sure I'm not clogging up the frequency with ATC folks I don't need to actually be speaking to.

Thanks!

For reference, I'm trying to do what this guy is doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VR5WUzLRFM&t=940s

Not *closest* ATC -- but ATC next up in the hierarchy.  Since I'm not at my PC right now I'll use an example from an area I know better. 

Say you wanted to do pattern work at KMTN, a Class D towered Airfield east of Baltimore, Maryland.  During the day it is a controlled field, so you might look for MTN_TWR to be on.  But that position is very rarely staffed.  So you might think BWI_TWR is nearby and can help, but, that's an *adjoining* controller, not the next one *up*.  Tower controllers can only cover their own airport. 

The thing to do would be to look for either BWI_APP, or PCT_APP, which would be the Approach controllers covering BWI, MTN, and surrounding "satellite airports."  Failing that, you could look for DC_CTR.  In either case you have to be a bit judicious though because even if you're doing patterns somewhere out of the way, the Center controller could still be dealing with a mess of traffic at IAD, DCA, and BWI all at once on the same channel.  So the best bet is often to use VAT-Spy, VATtastic, SimAware, or similar tools -- and find somewhere that has an APP or TWR on and not too much traffic.  If you're not sure about their workload, spawn in and ask.  If they can't work you in easily, they can often suggest good places to go instead.  But really, outside of a published event, a lot of TWR controllers even at Class B fields would be happy to have you as long as there isn't some fluke VA or big live-streamer group fly-in going on or something like that. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png