You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vatsim.net DNSSEC setup incomplete

Daniel Roesen

Daniel Roesen
Posted
Posted

Hi,

vatsim.net's DNSSEC setup is incomplete, and thus effectively nonexistent:

vatsim.net is missing the DS signature record in the .net TLD zone, so no verifiable signature chain exists:

https://dnssec-analyzer.verisignlabs.com/data.vatsim.net
https://dnsviz.net/d/data.vatsim.net/dnssec/

Result is that noone can properly verify vatsim.net FQDNs and resolvers fall back to unverified responses.
Also, some logs of resolvers get spammed with:

Dec 20 14:07:29 infra1 named[1415]: validating my.vatsim.net/A: no valid signature found
Dec 20 14:07:29 infra1 named[1415]: validating my.vatsim.net/AAAA: no valid signature found
Dec 20 14:07:29 infra1 named[1415]: validating auth.vatsim.net/AAAA: no valid signature found
Dec 20 14:07:29 infra1 named[1415]: validating auth.vatsim.net/A: no valid signature found
Dec 20 14:07:32 infra1 named[1415]: validating stats.vatsim.net/A: no valid signature found
Dec 20 14:07:32 infra1 named[1415]: validating stats.vatsim.net/AAAA: no valid signature found
Dec 20 14:08:07 infra1 named[1415]: validating status.vatsim.net/A: no valid signature found
Dec 20 14:08:07 infra1 named[1415]: validating status.vatsim.net/AAAA: no valid signature found
Dec 20 14:08:41 infra1 named[1415]: validating metar.vatsim.net/A: no valid signature found
Dec 20 14:08:41 infra1 named[1415]: validating metar.vatsim.net/AAAA: no valid signature found

etc. (This is how I came to that issue...)

Best regards,
Daniel

Nick Harasym
Posted
Posted

I'll look at getting this enabled.

Nick Harasym
VATSIM Senior Developer
Team Lead, Infrastructure
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

• 4 months later...
Daniel Roesen
Posted
Posted

Half a year later, this problem still persists...

Nick Harasym
Posted
Posted

Filling up your disk with logs eh? Logrotate can help with that. I've talked to the powers at be here and its just not high on the list of things to do. I'll follow up.

Nick Harasym
Senior Network Infrastructure Engineer 
## [email protected]
## www.vatsim.net
## ##
7JRF7kO.png

Daniel Roesen
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Nick Harasym said:

Filling up your disk with logs eh? Logrotate can help with that.

This is just an annoyance resulting from the broken DNSSEC setup of vatsim.net, but thanks for the sarcasm. I totally dig that arrogance.

And sorry caring about the security of vatsim.net, I won't bother anymore.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2021 at 5:51 PM, Daniel Roesen said:
On 5/24/2021 at 2:58 PM, Nick Harasym said:

Filling up your disk with logs eh? Logrotate can help with that.

This is just an annoyance resulting from the broken DNSSEC setup of vatsim.net, but thanks for the sarcasm. I totally dig that arrogance.

You get used to it after a while. Don't worry about it, just accept that this is the way it is. Sarcasm aside (and maybe it wasn't sarcasm) you have to accept that the VATSIM tech department is ridiculously overloaded, and they can't do what ten people tell them to do, so they do what's most urgent.

Edited by Alistair Thomson
Abrasion reduction :)

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Nick Harasym
Posted
Posted
On 5/24/2021 at 2:51 PM, Daniel Roesen said:

I didn't intend to upset people. Sometimes I like to be abrasive. 

This is being looked into. I've set a reminder to follow up on it later so that it isn't dropped.

Nick Harasym
Senior Network Infrastructure Engineer 
## [email protected]
## www.vatsim.net
## ##
7JRF7kO.png