You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

HP Reverb G2 microphone issue

Richard Asberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

I received my HP Reverb G2 VR headset a couple of days ago and today, I was trying it out in regards of xPilot and the built-in microphone(s). When I did a radio check, I was told by ATC they only heard static noise when I was transmitting. Using another microphone, all worked fine.

I find this odd. Because before trying it out with xPilot, I tried it locally with the built-in Voice Recorder in Windows 10. Listening to my recording, the quality was perfect and I could hear my voice just fine. So I'm not really sure why xPilot doesn't seem to like the microphone(s) in the HP Reverb G2 and only produces static noise.

Anyone else had the same issue or has an idea what might be causing this?

Richard Åsberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

A follow-up question - is it somehow possible to hear what your voice will sound like in xPilot using some form of local test? Instead of pestering busy ATC with endless 'Radio checks'?

Richard Åsberg

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Yes.  Tune COM1 and COM2 to same frequency, set radios (in sim or in xPilot) to monitor both, transmit on one.  You'll hear yourself (slightly delayed) in the other.

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Brilliant! Will try that.

Won't fix the problem but at least allow for easier testing.

Richard Åsberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Just tried out the suggestion to tune both COM1 and COM2 to the same freq and then transmitted on COM1. Worked like a charm for testing 👍

However, the original problem remains, how the HP Reverb G2 microphone won't work with xPilot for whatever reason. What I noticed now when doing more testing is how the peak level indicator for the microphone in xPilot won't move at all when selecting the HP Reverb G2 microphone. When looking at the similar and built-in peak level indicator in Windows 10 at the same time, keeping the windows next to each other while testing, I see how the microphone picks up sound just fine. While there's no input at all in xPilot. Really odd!!

So to me, this seems to be an xPilot issue rather than any form of hardware issue with the microphone. Question is why xPilot doesn't like the HP Reverb G2's microphones 🤔

I really hope there's some way to address this.

I was looking forward to use the great headphones on the G2 to increase the immersion when flying in VR. Now when I can't use the microphone, I won't be able to use the headphones on the G2 either. This since the headset I'm usually using for ATC communication won't fit under the headphones on the G2. Or I can move the right one out of the way. But then I only have sound from X-Plane in my left ear...

Richard Åsberg

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Richard, what is the sample rate of the microphone set to in the Windows Audio settings? If I remember correctly, AFV requires 48000 Hz.

If changing the sample rate doesn't fix your issue, then it might be an AFV incompatibility.

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Thanks for getting back to me Justin.

That's what it's set to as seen below.

So if this means it's an AFV incompatibility, is that something you could report to the guys working on AFV or maybe there's somewhere I could do it myself?

Considering how popular the HP Reverb G2 VR headset is, it would be a really sad thing if people wouldn't be able to fully enjoy it on Vatsim.

1631599038_Greenshot2021-01-0303_58_28-HPReverbG2MicProperties.thumb.jpg.9fbe6951753f1e34fdc0cf2c0ae34db0.jpg

Richard Åsberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Thanks, will do.

Richard Åsberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted (edited)

[MOD: Merged to AFV Support forum. Original topic text below]

The new HP Reverb G2 microphone doesn't pick up any sound in xPilot even when it's working fine when tested in Windows 10.

I asked about it over in the xPilot forum and Justin thought it might be a compatibility issue with AFV.

Considering the popularity of this new VR headset, it would be a great shame if people wouldn't be able to fully use it when flying on Vatsim.

Here's a link to the thread over in the xPilot forum for more details.

Edited by Mats Edvin Aaro
Merge

Richard Åsberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Made a short clip demonstrating the issue. Would be good to know if it's an xPilot issue or an HP issue. However as mentioned above, since it's working fine in Windows and picking up sound just fine, that to me would indicate the issue is with xPilot or maybe rather AFV as suggested by Justin.

I hope there's some way to fix this.

Richard Åsberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Happy to report I was able to solve the problem by uninstalling Nahimic.

Richard Åsberg