You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Installing a headset

Conor Lowry 990332

Conor Lowry 990332
Posted
Posted

I just got the Creative HS-600 and Im having a bit of trouble setting it up on VRC, When I calibrate the mic it says my background noise is too loud, but it was silent! And when it plays back the sound I spoke into the mic, its distorted and doen't sound right is this normal?

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Seems to be common, but if you do a Mic check in the game, it sounds fine (for me at least).

• 6 months later...
Brian Nuss 887798
Posted
Posted

I'm having the exact same problem, in my case, I'm using a Gigaware USB headset.

I tested it with the Windows recording function and it works fine--clear as a bell.

Should I ignore the error message that VRC is giving me?

KASSigPic.jpgsig2.jpg

"The clueless newb of today is the seasoned loyal pilot of tomorrow." -Elchitz

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

You might try switching between wave and directsound recording in the Audio Devices options.

If that doesn't make a difference, then definitely try just accepting whatever it tells you, then try actually using it to control, and see what pilots say.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Brian Nuss 887798
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ross. I tried numerous combinations between directsound and wave without seeing any difference.

I'd like to be able to test it "live" but I haven't even received my operating initials yet, so I don't want to (nor do I think I'm able to) actually go online and find out if its working. I'm still in the initial stages of familiarization with VRC and I wanted to make sure everything was up and running before getting together with a mentor.

KASSigPic.jpgsig2.jpg

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

Have you tried using it as a pilot?

Ruth

VATGOV7

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Brian Nuss 887798
Posted
Posted

Ruth, I've been using it regularly as a pilot, but only with my home pc (which is a desktop). I suppose I could hook up online with the headset on the laptop with VATSIM, just to verify for a radio check.

KASSigPic.jpgsig2.jpg