You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Searching for a VA for use with PMDG GFO ACARS

Richard McDonald Woods

Richard McDonald Woods
Posted
Posted (edited)

With the availability of a full ACARS service with GFO, the location of aircraft will be recorded by Global Fleet  Operations. These locations may not be ones that a virtual airline would normally use. VAs will therefore need to loosen control of their flight schedules.

I shall be looking to join a VA again for my B777, after many years without one. Are there any VAs which will enable use of the GFO ACARS system without enforcing the use of airline-specific airport destinations?

Edited by Richard McDonald Woods
not to include the B747

Cheers, Richard

You are the music, until the music stops. T.S.Eliot

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted

Given that GFO is not even released I doubt that any VA has a stance on it at the moment on the possible use of it.

Richard McDonald Woods
Posted
Posted

I believe that the major VAs have been involved with PMDG for some time. 😋

Cheers, Richard

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted

Not sure if VA want to use two tracking softwares. I am in a major VA and as of yet nothing has been made public about GFO usage once it is out.

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

I believe that the major VAs have been involved with PMDG for some time. 😋

According to whom?

• Like 2

Vice President, Pilot Training

Richard McDonald Woods
Posted
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Simon Kelsey said:

According to whom?

Hi Simon,

Good question! I thought that I had heard that there have been VAs trying to work with the new ACARS.

If this is not true, then there may be some co-existence problems looming, which I doubt.

Cheers, Richard

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

With the availability of a full ACARS service with GFO, the location of aircraft will be recorded by Global Fleet  Operations. These locations may not be ones that a virtual airline would normally use. VAs will therefore need to loosen control of their flight schedules.

Sorry, how does the second sentence imply the third?

FWIW, PMDG doesn't appear to have reached out to any Virtual Airlines I am a member of.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Richard McDonald Woods
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Luke,

Interesting. So if I leave a British Airways B777 from GFO at Kalgoorlie, how will BA pilots choose a BA flight to fly it from there? 😏

Cheers, Richard

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

Hi Luke,

Interesting. So if I leave a British Airways B777 from GFO at Kalgoorlie, how will BA pilots choose a BA flight to fly it from there? 😏

Perhaps a stupid question, but how do you fly it there in the first place?

ACH2118.jpg

Richard McDonald Woods
Posted
Posted

Lauri,

I believe that GFO will have the global fleet records, so I can choose a BA aircraft to fly where I wish 😉 

Cheers, Richard

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

I think where I'm getting to is that if a specific aircraft is in a place outside of the VA's schedules, that's entirely the pilot's issue, not the virtual airline's.

Cheers!

Luke

• Like 1

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

If you choose to leave an aircraft somewhere that's not a destination on that VA's schedules, potentially through a divert, I'm sure the VA will, like the airline, add a flight number to the schedule to pull it out and either onto it's planned destination or to another airport for maintenance...

Trevor Hannant

Richard McDonald Woods
Posted
Posted

Trevor,

That solution sounds a great faff, because I feel that it would happen quite often with pilots using GFO and VA's aircraft whilst not VA members.

Perhaps it would be better for VAs to relinquish maintenance of aircraft records and just concentrate on their pilot members flying records through ACARS? 

Cheers, Richard

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

Trevor,

That solution sounds a great faff, because I feel that it would happen quite often with pilots using GFO and VA's aircraft whilst not VA members.

Perhaps it would be better for VAs to relinquish maintenance of aircraft records and just concentrate on their pilot members flying records through ACARS? 

Isn’t that what VA already do by using their own acars system?

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

Trevor,

First up, do we know exactly how GFO is going to work for VA's?   We don't - there's been no information in it in any way shape or form.

However, given the larger number of pilots than airframes, I'd suggest/hope that the same reg will be available in different "groupings" otherwise how do you get a VA to join up?  So you'd look for BAVirtual airframes and see where the last BAV pilot left G-MEDJ then fly one of the schedules from there.  This would allow more than one "BA" VA to have control over it's own airframes, while those who want to fly a BA airframe outside of a VA can from a "main" GFO listing.

Of course, that's how I'd like to see it work, how it will work I'm sure we'll find out in due course...  Of course, if you fell that what I've said is a faff, feel free to come up with another option that makes GFO attractive to VAs and doesn't have it's airframes littering the world...

Edited by Trevor Hannant

Trevor Hannant

Richard McDonald Woods
Posted
Posted

Trevor, it's not at all that what you said is faff.😉 It would be a faff for someone to keep the GFO aircraft where their VAs believe them to be.

I have yet to hear whether an airframe can be 'owned' by more than a single VA, or even a single VA. Perhaps they can only be 'owned' by their real world airline? Looking forward to finding out.

Cheers, Richard

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

I'd be curious to hear how many Virtual Airlines actually have this model, and have maintained it for several years. I used to see it some years back (joinava?) and the forums seemed full of repositioning requests when there was a shortage of a given equipment type and all of the 772s were in SXM for some reason. 🙂

Given how little outreach PMDG seems to have done, I question how much uptake their is going to be. That being said, you can't see for sure until you see it.

Cheers!

Luke

• Thanks 1