You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATSpy not starting up

Chris Yager

Chris Yager
Posted
Posted

A few days ago, VATspy stopped booting up.  no error messages, just opens the initial version graphic etc. but won't open a window or map.  Shows in the taskbar, but can't get a window to open up.  Any ideas?

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times, no change.  Single monitor or multiple monitors, no effect.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If you remove your config file, does it start then?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Chris Yager
Posted
Posted

I happened to have it installed on another PC.  On running it on that system, it became evident to me that it was failing on "tessellating polygons", as mentioned in another post.

Yes, after deleting the config file, it worked.  I wasn't sure how to delete the config file, for the benefit of any other viewers the instructions I used were at:  Vatspy problem -- error loading config - Other Pilot Software - VATSIM Community.

Thanks for the point in the right direction.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Okay, thanks. Sounds like the same issue others are having. I have not been able to track it down yet.

Tim Robinson
Posted
Posted

Hey guys! I had the same problem. When I shut down my SurfShark VPN, it worked fine!

• 1 month later...
Frank Kopp
Posted
Posted

Just posted a new bug for this:

When having VAT-Spy on a second monitor to the left in Windows 10 it records its position to VATSpyConfig.xml like this:

<LastWindowLocation>
    <X>-1926</X>
    <Y>331</Y>
  </LastWindowLocation>

If you close VAT-Spy and then try to reopen it like this it will freeze and not start.

Removing the above section from VATSpyConfig.xml solves the issue and it starts perfectly on the right screen at x=0, Y=0 the next time.

My assumption is that the <X>-1926</X> causes the issue.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Please follow these instructions for testing a possible fix for this issue: