You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Which Flight Level to file?

John Stockton

John Stockton
Posted
Posted

This morning I flew from KSBS (Steamboat Springs) to KEGE (Eagle County), VFR. KEGE is practically due south from KSBS. My flight plan had some zig-zagging in it. Sometimes I would be flying westerly and sometimes easterly. Would I file Odd FL + 500 or Even FL +500? If you really want to map this out, Here is my flight plan.

KSBS SBURG  JESIE  KIMBL V421 VAILE KEGE.

FYI, I went with 10,500. Because my direct would have been ever-so-slightly westerly. Thank you.

map.jpg

N313GM, P0: X-Plane 12.01r3, Windows 11, i7-13700k, RTX4080 (16GB), 32GB DDR4 4800

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

[moved to flightplanning help]

• Thanks 1

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Dustin Rider
Posted
Posted

The answer can be found here: FAR 91.159, VFR Cruising Altitude. What that essentially says is that if your magnetic course (not your indicated heading while you're actually flying, mind you) is anywhere between 0-179 degrees, fly odd altitudes plus 500; between 180-359 degrees, fly even altitudes plus 500. This is frequently referred to as the NEODD/SWEVEN rule (north thru east is odd/south thru west is even). 

Let's apply this to your flight. Altitude selection is based on your magnetic course, so on that route you posted, everything up to KIMBL would be flown at an odd altitude, plus 500 feet because the magnetic course between those waypoints fall within the NEODD range. After KIMBL you'd have to fly at an even altitude, plus 500 feet since now you're flying a series southwesterly magnetic courses. 

Mike Sweeney
Posted
Posted (edited)

"... went with 10,500."

Also consider minimum safe altitudes (14 CFR § 91.119)
For route SBURG JESIE KIMBL V421 VAILE, terrain southeast JESIE at 10,177' msl.
In case off route for wx avoidance, also check quadrant MEFs (maximum elevation figures) on VFR sectional: 11200'

If helpful ...

jesie.jpg

terrain.jpg

Edited by Mike Sweeney
  • Thanks 1

Mike / 811317
rz0u.png

John Stockton
Posted
Posted

Thank you very much. So I guess, yes, you do alter your altitude to match flight direction. 

N313GM, P0: X-Plane 12.01r3, Windows 11, i7-13700k, RTX4080 (16GB), 32GB DDR4 4800

Mike Sweeney
Posted
Posted

Yes, and crossing JESIE at/abv 11500 (for terrain southeast of JESIE) ...
After passing KIMBL and turning southwest on V421, would the Turbo Arrow be at or nearing descent for destination KEGE anyway?

Might consider filing 11,500, VFR, and maintaining 11,500 to KIMBL.
Thereafter descending vfr to cross VAILE at/abv 10,400 appears safe
(ref: terrain/altitude AIGLE on the LDA RWY 25 approach),
and then lower for KEGE traffic pattern altitude, 7,535' msl.

What do you think John, would that work?

Or,
without reference to IAP,  descending vfr after KIMBL ... just don't hit anything  😉

It appears unlikely/less likely for conflicting traffic when descending blw 11500 on V421.
-'Enroute' IFR on V421 would be higher, at/abv MEA, and opposite direction VFR on V421 likely to be at/abv 11,500

Mike / 811317
rz0u.png

John Stockton
Posted
Posted

@Mike Sweeney

That's basically what I did. The waypoints are a general guide for my GNS530 (x-plane). I flew visually staying within the 'passes' at the same time trying to stay close to the path I created in the GPS. I mapped out my desired path using SkyVetor 'World VFR map' then switching back and forth to SkyVector 'World Lo map' to find the nearest waypoint to match my VFR path. I find this a much easier method than to try to put multiple custom coordinates into the GNS530. 

Having been a Tubeliner vPilot for, dare I say decades, I am comfortable using Airways, RNAV, ILS, etc. I'm having a new found love for VFR and GA planes. It's damn near impossible to VFR through the mountains with lack of detail ground references. So I cheat a little with the GNS 😉

Lastly, I'm am super impressed you pieced together, I'm in the Turbo Arrow! You sir, have done your homework 👍

• Like 1

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted

Honestly, ATC usually builds in a bit of a buffer for situations just like this, assuming you're on flight following.  You're really not going to go wrong at 105, or 115.  There isn't a need to climb and decend based on your direction on any particular leg.  There are several interesting real world discussions about this out there.  If you're VFR, it's generally not going to be an issue.  While you can certainly fly below the MEF as discussed above, you need to be at least 500 above any terrain in an uncongested area.  If that's a valley floor, then it is what it is.  Just be mindful of the terrain.

• Thanks 1