You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

(Another) Model Matching issue.

Marshall Whitlock

Marshall Whitlock
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey guys, I'm having issues troubleshooting my vPilot client when it comes to model matching. Sorry if this has been posted before but I have searched for my specific problem and wasn't able to find it.

I downloaded and installed the vPilot rules re: the installation instructions. https://flightsim.to/file/1632/msfs-vpilot-modelmatching

I also installed this liveries Megapack https://msfsaddons.com/2020/11/28/msfs-liveries-mega-pack-version-x/

The problem is out of 10, I maybe only see 1 plane with a livery. The rest are the Generic Asobo Twin Engine model with the baby blue tail. This is even happening with plane that I can see on SimAware that are A320s

When I use the command .aircraft I can see that the majority of rules that vPilot is using are N/A and not, the BritishAvGeek rules. I was under the assumption that these rules take most twin engine jetliners and convert them to an A320 and then give them the appropriate livery, am I wrong?

EDIT: I should not that the aircraft models I am seeing in .aircraft are planes that should be recognized e.g. B738, A319, etc

Edited by Marshall Whitlock

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Did you get any red error messages in the vPilot window?

Can you send me the vmr file that you have loaded?

Also, take a screenshot of the vPilot aircraft window showing an aircraft that is using the generic Asobo model when it should be using one of the rules from the VMR file. I can then look through the file to see if I can determine why it didn't use the model from the VMR file rule.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 2 weeks later...
David Louis
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello,

Is it possible that the variable used to handle ModelName is too small ? 
It seems that rules with a long model name (around 20+ characters) are all set to AutoGenerated

example :

<ModelMatchRule CallsignPrefix="DAL" TypeCode="A320" ModelName="Airbus A320 Neo Delta" />  is working : match to the ruleset and display the "Airbus A320 Neo Delta" model

<ModelMatchRule CallsignPrefix="BAW" TypeCode="A320" ModelName="Airbus A320 Neo British Airways" />    is not working :  rule Set is AutoGenerated and display a generic model , no error message

after renaming the livery model from title ="Airbus A320 Neo British Airways" to title = "Airbus A320 Neo BA"  :
<ModelMatchRule CallsignPrefix="BAW" TypeCode="A320" ModelName="Airbus A320 Neo BA" /> is working : match to the ruleset and display the "Airbus A320 Neo BA" model

Edited by David Louis
typo

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Do you get any red errors when it tries to add an aircraft using the longer model title?

David Louis
Posted
Posted

Negative. It seems to skip the rule and apply AutoGenerated without returning any red error

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Please post the VMR file that you're using, and a screenshot of the .aircraft window showing the aircraft that is using the AutoGenerated rule instead of the one you think it should be using.

David Louis
Posted
Posted (edited)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ModelMatchRuleSet>
    <ModelMatchRule CallsignPrefix="BAW" TypeCode="A320" ModelName="Airbus A320 Neo British Airways" />
    <ModelMatchRule CallsignPrefix="EZY" TypeCode="A320" ModelName="Airbus A320 Neo Delta" />
</ModelMatchRuleSet>

PS  I have not checked all the long named models, this is only a supposition.

It could well be that something else is preventing the model to load and the simple fact to rename it unlocks the situation

Capture.PNG

Edited by David Louis
i know EZY is not Delta, this is just for testing ;)

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Everything looks good there, please post the actual VMR file so I can take a closer look.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm afraid I have no idea why that's not working. The file is working fine for me. There is no length limit. 

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

David where did the middle screen generate from please? i.e. the screen that is titled vPilot Aircraft on which you have highlighted the BAW49E aircraft. Thank you.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Daniel Mckee said:

David where did the middle screen generate from please? i.e. the screen that is titled vPilot Aircraft on which you have highlighted the BAW49E aircraft. Thank you.

https://vpilot.rosscarlson.dev/Documentation#dot-commands

• Thanks 1

David Louis
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

I'm afraid I have no idea why that's not working. The file is working fine for me. There is no length limit. 

Thanks for taking the time !

Still something is preventing the assignment of some models and the simple fact to rename the model solved the problem, which is really odd.

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

In some of the megapaks available there are parse or spelling errors which cannot be fixed by vPilot. In those cases as a livery is identified as not working you have to try and locate the error in the megapak file. Same thing happened in Bluebell CSL files for X-Plane which again is not an error that can be fixed by xPilot.🙂

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Daniel Mckee said:

In some of the megapaks available there are parse or spelling errors which cannot be fixed by vPilot. In those cases as a livery is identified as not working you have to try and locate the error in the megapak file. Same thing happened in Bluebell CSL files for X-Plane which again is not an error that can be fixed by xPilot.🙂

In those situations, though, you would get a nasty red error message when it tries to use the misspelled model name. David said he's not getting any errors.

• Like 1

Nicholas Camperos
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had actually just made a VMR file generator for MSFS which made its stuff by searching your community folder for liveries, right after finding out that it did not work at all (with the exception of like 3 airlines such as KLM for some reason.) 

I spent a good while trying to figure out what exactly I was doing wrong, and made a similar example to the one shown above by David, and I had no luck in figuring out what was going on. The original model matching .vmr I used from BritishAvGeek did not work either, after having it work for more than a few months now. 

Perhaps you could let me know if there seems to be an issue here as well in the way I made it? I can confirm I receive no errors when in sim (those MODEL NOT FOUND red ones or whatever,) and all aircraft get matched with the generic one I selected on vpilot, with the exception of a couple of random ones, such as in the case of any KLM aircraft in my test yesterday. (I could have set any KLM to a a320, 747, 787, but no other airline would do anything.)

Here is the link to my file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K7YFB5x1Rhfm7u_NDJGRcE5GnKFQkzWp/view?usp=sharing

(On a side note, I have tried to re-install vPilot and gotten no luck with that. I've considered re-installing MSFS but logic wants to tell me the sim is not the culprit for this problem. Especially since there hasn't been any updates recently to warrant this issue. I could also try to re-install all my liveries to see if that fixes anything, I'm not sure.)

Edited by Nicholas Camperos

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Nicholas, your file looks fine to me.

I don't think that reinstalling vPilot or reinstalling the sim would make any difference here.

So far I haven't been able to reproduce David's issue where the VMR file rules seem to be ignored and you just get either an aircraft matched from the auto-generated rules, or you just get the default model match, without any red errors. The lack of red errors suggests that the VMR file somehow isn't even taking effect.

What would be really helpful is if either of you could make me a set of files that exhibits this error with the bare minimum "stuff" involved. For example, create a zip file that contains just one model folder that I can drop into my community folder, plus a VMR file that should invoke those models but isn't. Then I'll install that stuff and see if I can reproduce the problem on my end.

Nicholas Camperos
Posted
Posted

Sure thing, I will see what I can do and send it over. 

Nicholas Camperos
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here is a zip with 2 liveries (from the publicly available + free livery megapack) and a vmr file that I have tested on my end to not work. Depending on what traffic was there I did mess around with the aircraft type of callsign, but hopefully when you test it you can find an american airlines or a delta - or just change the callsign prefix and use the same model.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y16vsmi1NsAlTHY1pjH17rUlG8zito0N/view?usp=sharing

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Those files seem to work fine. (See screenshot below.) I really have no idea why they're not working for you.

Silly question, but you are naming the file with a .vmr extension, right? The file I downloaded from your google drive link has a .vmr.xml extension. This is not a problem, but you do need to select "All Files" from the file selection popup when adding the VMR to the custom rules in vPilot, else the file won't appear in the list, since the list is filtered to show only .vmr files by default. I assume you know this, but I thought I would check just in case.

image.thumb.png.f52e86d87f8b85143832008c6f7fe2c7.png

Nicholas Camperos
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yeah I'm not sure how that .xml bit got added to the end there. I did not notice that when working with the file. I don't know if it's a hidden extension or something. It is a VMR on my end though. I have no clue why it would not work. 

Nicholas Camperos
Posted
Posted

is there some type of log or something I could grab to help? I'd be happy to run any tests to figure out what the issue may be. I am going to continue attempting this over the days, but seeing as you can't recreate it I fear this may be a local issue. 

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)

You could run vPilot in debug mode and see if there are any clues in the debug window messages.

Edited by Ross Carlson

Nicholas Camperos
Posted
Posted
[10:02:25.295] Model matching rule set test started
[10:02:26.515] Failed to create test aircraft with model "Generic Airliner Quad Engines Asobo 04: Generic Airliner Quad Engines Asobo 01"
[10:02:26.736] Failed to create test aircraft with model "Cessna Skyhawk 172SP"
[10:02:26.774] Model matching rule set test stopped

I observed that the "Rule Set" section switched from my test file to AutoGenerated so I would assume those two errors are some msfs issues and not related to my file. 

Nicholas Camperos
Posted
Posted

In addition, another odd thing, here is my original model matching ruleset that had a ton of airlines and stuff. Loaded it up in a busy gatwick and found that a couple did match, but others didn't. Seeing as we now know this isn't a problem with the file itself, I guess nothing to be done about that, but I don't see why these few in specific work. image.thumb.png.0adfb63eb4b9f34afaa312c7cb964917.png