You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC/Airspace Question

Seamus McGinley

Seamus McGinley
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi, 

If I am flying out of a small airfield with no ATC at it that is located near an International airport that has TWR/APP/GND/CTR online and this airfield is below their cover, as well as  the main region Control is also controlling everything above these airports, who do I contact first?  

If I intended to stay within the circuit at this small airport and stay below the International airports airspace, would I still need to contact either the staffed airport or the region Control that’s online? 

thank you 

Edited by Seamus McGinley

Cathal Boyce
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Seamus McGinley said:

Hi, 

If I am flying out of a small airfield with no ATC at it that is located near an International airport that has TWR/APP/GND/CTR online and this airfield is below their cover, as well as  the main region Control is also controlling everything above these airports, who do I contact first?  

If I intended to stay within the circuit at this small airport and stay below the International airports airspace, would I still need to contact either the staffed airport or the region Control that’s online? 

thank you 

Hi Seamus, 

I just happened to see your post and recognised you from flying out earlier. In the Dublin TMA, all airports are covered top-down by one of the Dublin Control sectors (EIDW_X_CTR). These can come online/offline every 30 minutes so it is confusing to keep up with. You can PM one of the controllers or call on voice to ask or double-check, voice is probably better.

In this particular case, Weston is covered top-down for circuits as you asked, however, in an event controllers might be too busy to offer anything other than an "advisory" service.

TL;DR Always best to ask before getting airborne, and ask one of the controllers if you're unsure!

Edited by Cathal Boyce
  • Thanks 1

Cathal Boyce
ACCIRL1 | VATéir Director 
VATSIM Network Supervisor
VATEUD Divisional Examiner (I3)

Seamus McGinley
Posted
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Cathal Boyce said:

Hi Seamus, 

I just happened to see your post and recognised you from flying out earlier. In the Dublin TMA, all airports are covered top-down by one of the Dublin Control sectors (EIDW_X_CTR). These can come online/offline every 30 minutes so it is confusing to keep up with. You can PM one of the controllers or call on voice to ask or double-check, voice is probably better.

In this particular case, Weston is covered top-down for circuits as you asked, however, in an event controllers might be too busy to offer anything other than an "advisory" service.

TL;DR Always best to ask before getting airborne, and ask one of the controllers if you're unsure!

Hi Cathal, what’re the chances haha!!

Thanks very much! I never usually flew VFR on vatsim until I got MSFS but now since the scenery is 1:1 I’m getting really into it for practice but I’m not all that confident yet. 

I was just confused with so many services online I didn’t know who was most appropriate to tune into first and with a busy event on I didn’t want to be pestering controllers over chat lol. 

Had a few enjoyable flights thereafter! Thanks! 

Just one question, say if Dublin tower control was the only one online, or GND even, and no other controllers were online in the country, if I was to fly circuits at weston or possibly fly out west without entering Dublin’s SFC up zone, would I still be expected to contact TWR or would that be unnecessary since I’m below that airspace?
I enjoy being on freq so if it was a case where unnecessary but allowed I’d probably use it. 

Thanks Cathal! 

Seamus 

Edited by Seamus McGinley
  • Like 1

Cathal Boyce
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Seamus McGinley said:

Hi Cathal, what’re the chances haha!!

Thanks very much! I never usually flew VFR on vatsim until I got MSFS but now since the scenery is 1:1 I’m getting really into it for practice but I’m not all that confident yet. 

I was just confused with so many services online I didn’t know who was most appropriate to tune into first and with a busy event on I didn’t want to be pestering controllers over chat lol. 

Had a few enjoyable flights thereafter! Thanks! 

Just one question, say if Dublin tower control was the only one online, or GND even, and no other controllers were online in the country, if I was to fly circuits or possibly fly west without entering Dublin’s SFC up zone, would I still be expected to contact TWR or would that be unnecessary since I’m below that airspace?
I enjoy being on freq so if it was a case where unnecessary but allowed I’d probably use it. 

Thanks Cathal! 

Seamus 

Good! Yeah, it was a bit crazy tonight for sure.

Weston (EIWT) is its own airfield with its own TWR controller as you know. This means that the only controllers that will control aircraft in it are EIDW_X_CTR or EIWT_TWR.

If you were to fly out you wouldn't need to contact EIDW_TWR/GND etc. as they have their own airspace, but as you seem to point at, if you needed to enter the zone you would call EIDW_TWR. Similarly, if you were doing circuits at Weston there is no need to call EIDW_TWR if they are the only ones online providing you stay clear of the Dublin zone.

This is a good (but very confusing) VFR chart for the Dublin zone

• Thanks 1

Cathal Boyce

Seamus McGinley
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Cathal Boyce said:

Good! Yeah, it was a bit crazy tonight for sure.

Weston (EIWT) is its own airfield with its own TWR controller as you know. This means that the only controllers that will control aircraft in it are EIDW_X_CTR or EIWT_TWR.

If you were to fly out you wouldn't need to contact EIDW_TWR/GND etc. as they have their own airspace, but as you seem to point at, if you needed to enter the zone you would call EIDW_TWR. Similarly, if you were doing circuits at Weston there is no need to call EIDW_TWR if they are the only ones online providing you stay clear of the Dublin zone.

This is a good (but very confusing) VFR chart for the Dublin zone

Great stuff thanks for clearing that up! 

I’ll have a bit of a study of that chart tomorrow to get my head around it.

Cheers for the help Cathal! 

Seamus 

• Like 1

Cathal Boyce
Posted
Posted

No worries

Cathal Boyce