You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Use of Nattrack for Oceanic flights

Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

If I fly trans Atlantic and ATC is online, is the use of Nattrack expected or was that only in use for the CTP event ?

Andrew

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

If you fly in the NAT track area, you can naturally fly the NAT track. It is not mandatory and you can fly a random route, but if it interferes with the NAT tracks, it's best to adhere to the NAT track. But crossing the Atlantic can be done both North and South of the NAT area. Flying to/from Central/Western US/Canada often leads you over Greenland and thus a random route. But NATs are used on a daily basis on VATSIM and not just during events.

regards

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

Yes it was the natTRAK application I was referring to.    Sorry for the confusion.    Been a while since I flew trans Atlantic and last time it was text posreps etc.  I had logged into natTRAK to familiarise myself with the application but could not see where or how to input a clearance request, not realising I had to be logged onto VATSIM first to see the PILOT option 😳.   

Regards

Andrew

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Ok, then we can answer the question: during normal operations, natTRAK is not in use. But look out for Oceanic controllers using CPDLC via Hoppie to get your clearance and to transmit position reports, this might be useful.

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted
On 1/24/2021 at 1:08 AM, Andreas Fuchs said:

Ok, then we can answer the question: during normal operations, natTRAK is not in use. But look out for Oceanic controllers using CPDLC via Hoppie to get your clearance and to transmit position reports, this might be useful.

This is not correct. natTrak is available for use any time of day, and most oceanic controllers do monitor the tool 😄.

• Thanks 1

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the correction. I was under the impression that it is not really being used outside events. Especially the title "Welcome to Cross The Pond Eastbound 2020!" does suggest this, that's what probably lured me into this incorrect statement 😄 And: the last few times I had a look at the controller-info of Oceanic ATCOs, the use of natTRAK was not mentioned.

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the correction. I was under the impression that it is not really being used outside events. Especially the title "Welcome to Cross The Pond Eastbound 2020!" does suggest this, that's what probably lured me into this incorrect statement 😄 And: the last few times I had a look at the controller-info of Oceanic ATCOs, the use of natTRAK was not mentioned.

Haha, no problem! There is a lot of confusion around oceanic at the moment, and it's something we are working on.

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

OK thanks for the comments.   I'll try to be prepared for all eventualities 👍

Andrew

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 1/25/2021 at 1:36 AM, Andrew Ogden said:

This is not correct. natTrak is available for use any time of day, and most oceanic controllers do monitor the tool 😄.

May be I am stupid, but natTRAK shows no menu etc for me. I can login but that's it...

edit. now I read "Please note you can only use natTRAK's features when connected to the VATSIM network."  

So I have to have xPilot logged in?

Edited by Lauri Uusitalo
ACH2118.jpg

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Lauri Uusitalo said:

May be I am stupid, but natTRAK shows no menu etc for me. I can login but that's it...

edit. now I read "Please note you can only use natTRAK's features when connected to the VATSIM network."  

So I have to have xPilot logged in?

Yes. Any connection to the vatsim network as a pilot

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

I tried NatTrack last week on my first Oceanic flight, but the dropdown (I believe it was a dropdown) didn't show any NAT tracks that are available. Was this a bug at the time (Saturday)?

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC