You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATIS with no ATC

Jakub Gabriel

Jakub Gabriel
Posted
Posted

Hello 

We have 2021, we have new voice codec, FSL have PDC, CPDLC and ACARS, PMDG also going to roll out their ACARS and CPDLC system in few weeks/months. Through this systems we can request ATIS but as everybody knows ATIS is not available without ATC so maybe it's time to create 24 hours a day ATIS even when ATC is offline. Also this thing would make Unicom better without lot of confusions which runway should I use. 

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jakub Gabriel said:

Hello 

We have 2021, we have new voice codec, FSL have PDC, CPDLC and ACARS, PMDG also going to roll out their ACARS and CPDLC system in few weeks/months. Through this systems we can request ATIS but as everybody knows ATIS is not available without ATC so maybe it's time to create 24 hours a day ATIS even when ATC is offline. Also this thing would make Unicom better without lot of confusions which runway should I use. 

What you are effectively looking for here is AWOS or ASOS, which will get you the weather observation and - if applicable - any NOTAMs associated with the airport in question. Outside of the NOTAMs, AWOS/ASOS is basically just the METAR reading for the field. Where choice of runway comes in is up to the pilot; as PIC, that is your choice. When the field is staffed, then you'd have to go with what the local controller has as the active runways (obviously, unless some type of emergency situation dictates another runway to be used). But if the tower is unstaffed, it is up to PIC to select the appropriate runway to use.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

This was mentioned as something that was going to be implemented post AFV, where by an ATIS would appear at an airport where there were planned arrivals and departures. Nothing much has been said about it since though.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

James Underwood
Posted
Posted

I have the Business membership on FR24, if there is no ATIS at an airport, I can search the airfield on FR24, click weather and there is a half hourly basic report on there, I mostly want the QNH, temp, wind direction and speed which is all there.

It's about £40 a month or so for the membership, I use it for the historical 3 year data as well which is mostly why I have it. Unfortunately it's not offered to the cheap Gold or Silver memberships, which would be useful for a lot of people!

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted (edited)

You can also type .metar ICAO in the pilot client and get the weather for the airfield you want and save your self 40 bucks.... 

Edited by Kirk Christie
  • Haha 1

James Underwood
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Kirk Christie said:

You can also type .metar ICAO in the pilot client and get the weather for the airfield you want and save your self 40 bucks.... 

Well I didn't know that, thank you!! 

Would save me 40 bucks next time!

I still need the business level at the moment as I'm building a schedule on Tower 3D sim based in 2018, so need the playback feature for that, once I'm done with that I can go back to Gold, now I know the .metar trick, thank you!

Sam Wilson
Posted
Posted

@James Underwood just buy a raspi and rtl sdr kit. The https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/ dipole bundle for $35 bucks and a raspi starter kit should leave you change for $100. Once your feeder is detecting more than three aircraft a day you'll be granted business as long as the station stays running. The details are at https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

https://www.flightera.net/en/

Historical flight data with out the cost.