You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Call Sign Proctocol

• call sign

David Lamb

David Lamb
Posted
Posted

In Europe are we allowed to shorten our call code when communicating with ATC as in the USA. I fly a Cessna Citation CJ4 Reg EIBVZ. For example after initial contact can I report as "Citation Bravo Victor Zulu" or "Citation Victor Zulu"?

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

Yes you are indeed! Different countries have different regulations on callsigns and how to shorten them, a good and easy guide on this can be found at the bottom of this page, courtecy of the VATSIM Pilot Learning Center. 🙂

Also note, do not abbreviate your callsign before ATC does it. 🙂 Once ATC has done it, follow what he says. When you check in with a new controller, use the full callsign again, and so on.

• Like 1

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Andre Bohni
Posted
Posted (edited)

As far as i know its on the controller to shorten the Callsign (in Europe, at least i was told so here in Switzerland). He know what he has on the Frequency and how it can be shortend to not have similars. So i would say until the Controller shorten your Callsign, go with the full one and there after use what the controller call you. And the Shortening in the Learning Center is the one for US and not that for Europe.

Edited by Andre Bohni
Finish the sentence
eddk,lsas,vatgerfb,vatgercpt,worldflight,euroscope,vatoic,fsrealwx.jpg1178638.png

David Lamb
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your speedy response. Much appreciated.

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

Oh my, I just saw that... I'll see if we can update it to a more generic format...

Outside the US, the norm is to abbreviate using the first and two last letters in the callsign. But just follow what ATC tells you 🙂

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new