You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Joining Swift

Michael Eamer

Michael Eamer
Posted
Posted

Just tried to join SWIFT since XSquawkbox 2.1 does not work with X-Plane 11.51 on a Mac.

This is the third time I have tried, the first couple of times trying ended up in complete frustration which wears off after a couple of months. So after this time, helped with videos which did not help much, I gave up again in frustration.

I'm back on XSquawkbox 2.1 where I can communicate and do everything except see other fliers,

VATSIM, do something to update XSquawbox please!

Thank you.

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

Have you tried the Swift discord? The devs are quite active there, and pretty helpful. The setup is intimidating, and a usability train wreck, but in the end it's not rocket science, and once you're past that hurdle, the program works just fine.

23.png

Michael Eamer
Posted
Posted

Greetings Andrea,

I'd like to try again, but I'll need serious help. I agree with you that one of the issues is the CSLs, not only have they been converted, they have not even been obtained yet, I don't know where to begin with this.

Have you the willingness to help me again ? Maybe this time I'll succeed with your help and patience.

Mike

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Michael,

you best start here: https://docs.swift-project.org/doku.php?id=xplane_models

For starters ONLY get the latest set of BlueBell CSL. They do NOT have to be converted and they should also work with xSquawkbox. If you still have xSquawbkox installed, give it a try, maybe that will be easier for you. Whatever you do, make sure that only one pilot client PLUGIN is installed in X-Plane 11\Resources\Plugins at a time. Either xSquawkbox OR xswiftbus, otherwise they will interfere with each other and you won't see any planes or they will show up in strange ways.

Michael Eamer
Posted
Posted

Hello Andreas,

Thanks for your positive answer, I have downloaded the 12 Bluebell OBJ8 CSL 1.3.5 zip files, have opened them and installed in X-Plane11/ resources/plugins/XSquawkbox /resources/CSL as suggested in the instructions.

I already had CSL files in there which I deleted before installing the new ones. All Swift files had been deleted from my system before doing this.

Next, I logged in to X-Plane, went to an airport were traffic was active, connected to Vatsim, could communicate with ATC, they could see my aircraft, I could not see any other aircraft although there were some. So the next step is to try again to install Swift which I will do and contact you later. I have kept the twelve Bluebell OBJ8 CSL 1.3.5 zip files that I will need later on.

Regards,

Mike

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Mike,

okay, I do not xSquawkbox, so I cannot help thaaaaaat much. But have you made sure that xSquawkbox knows that all these CSL files are in that path? Someone else would need to chime in here.

Michael Eamer
Posted
Posted

No one else has commented to now, Andreas, if by tomorrow I didn't receive some advice, I'll proceed to installing Swift with your help because I don't know how to verify if xSquawkbox knows that the CLS files are in the proper path. I was careful to follow the directions precisely.

Regards, 

Mike

Michael Eamer
Posted
Posted

Hi Andreas,

I tested the Bluebell CSL files on both XSquawkbox Open GL and METAL versions and it  did not work on either version whereas my regular CSL planes are visible on Open GL but not visible on METAL which proves my installation is not defective.

Tomorrow I will initiate installation of SWIFT now that I have a complete set of Bluebell OBJ8 CSL 1.3.5 planes available to install on SWIFT.

Looks like they don't work on XSquawkbox.  

Regards,

Mike