You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Troubleshooting feedback: 1.3.37 seems to be a step backward in terms of stability

Allan Dawson

Allan Dawson
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've been getting the CTD issues from time to time, some versions of xPIlot have been better than others. 1.3.36 in fact was the best version I've had on my system since the problem started, I hadn't had a single crash while that was installed.

1.3.37 on the other hand (which ironically packaged with the comment that it was built to reduce crashes) hasn't run once without crashing. System is stable until I connect to VATSIM, then in some cases it crashes straight away and in other cases it lasts maybe half an hour, but that was the longest it ran so far. 

Sorry I didn't keep any of the logs, I kept relaunching x-plane to troubleshoot various configurations to confirm this was definitely the cause, but what I can report is that each time it occurred at the same time as a heavy CSL load. I tried switching between 3 different CSL types (default xPilot Bluebell, XCSL and Bluebell XL) but it didn't make any difference, so I don't think its the CSL itself, but perhaps the process of managing the flow of loading traffic in/out.  

Edit to add: System is an i9-9900K (unaccelerated) 32G Ram, Sapphire AMD Vega 64 Nitro+ 8G gfx, tested on Win10 Pro V2004, X-Plane 10.51

Edited by Allan Dawson
Added system spec

Current airline pilot on B737 NG/MAX. 
Previously flew B737 300 Non-EFIS & 300/400EFIS

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted (edited)

First off, I need the appropriate logs to even begin to look into the problem... just saying that X-Plane crashes does me no good.

If you have AviTab, make sure you have the latest version (0.4.6 as of writing). There is a bug in earlier versions that causes X-Plane to crash when coupled with multiplayer plugins (like xPilot). If you don't use AviTab or you are already running v0.4.6 (or newer), then I will need the X-Plane log.txt (full log after X-Plane crashes). Additionally, I will need the .dmp and/or .rpt file if X-Plane produces one (found in output/crash_reports).

I would suggest joining the xPilot Discord server for more immediate support. https://vats.im/xpilot-discord

Edited by Justin Shannon

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Hi, Justin --

XP11 crashed on me during the trip from Tuscon to Phoenix toward the tail end of the event.  I do not have AviTab.  Log and Crash Report are attached.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VeYC2dQhGHvuNs8sICHSY39rHmn-weW7/view?usp=sharing

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Hi, Justin --

XP11 crashed on me during the trip from Tuscon to Phoenix toward the tail end of the event.  I do not have AviTab.  Log and Crash Report are attached.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VeYC2dQhGHvuNs8sICHSY39rHmn-weW7/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the logs. The memory dump indicates it was a Nvidia driver crash:

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFE189C2569 (nvoglv64.dll)

Allan Dawson
Posted
Posted

I’m sorry Justin, we seem to have got off on the wrong foot. I don’t need support, I just wanted to offer the factual information that the crashes are persistent as a contribution to your development work. For the time being I reverted to 1.3.36 which works fine so I’m happy with that. Avitab is latest.

If I have space in my schedule this coming week I will try to reupgrade to 37 and engineer some crash reports, if that is useful. If its a hindrance though I’m happy just hang back until a later version comes out that works.

Keep up the excellent work!

Allan Dawson
Posted
Posted

Hi Justin,

Well, I have to put my hand up and admit this one was on me. After a series of crashes this afternoon on subver 36, more troubleshooting revealed that AviTab was indeed the problem. Although I had updated last week to version 0.4.6 its logs were still referring to 0.4.5, so something hadn't taken from the update, so completely redownloaded deleted and reinstalled AviTab 0.4.6, then went ahead and updated xPilot to subver 37 and so far so good, a couple of hours of stable operation, during a time where VATSIM has been completely maxed out, so all seems good.

I'll let you know with logs and .rpts if the situaiton changes.

Cheers

• Like 1

Goran Anckers
Posted
Posted

I hope AVI TAB 0.4.6 update will resolved all my  X-plane crashes (6 crashes) i found in last version of xPilot  1.3.37. Will update AVI TAB now.

My question is:

- Why was xPilot 1.3.36 more stable - no crashes due to older version of AVI TAB for me?

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Goran Anckers said:

I hope AVI TAB 0.4.6 update will resolved all my  X-plane crashes (6 crashes) i found in last version of xPilot  1.3.37. Will update AVI TAB now.

My question is:

- Why was xPilot 1.3.36 more stable - no crashes due to older version of AVI TAB for me?

The only difference between .36 and .37 was an added null pointer check, which would not inherently make it any less stable. In fact, it should make it more stable.

If you were using AviTab 0.4.5, there was a bug in that version that caused X-Plane to crash if the user was using it with other multiplayer plugins (like xPilot, PilotEdge, IVAO, etc.). The 0.4.6 update fixes that crash.

The random crashes that have been happening with xPilot are still being tracked, but at this time, no known fix is available. To date, I've never been able to reproduce the crash, which makes it increasingly difficult to fix. I am working directly with Laminar, but we've not been able to find any leads yet.

Edited by Justin Shannon

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
On 1/30/2021 at 12:17 AM, Justin Shannon said:

Thanks for the logs. The memory dump indicates it was a Nvidia driver crash:

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFE189C2569 (nvoglv64.dll)

Will check for updated drivers; thanks.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Goran Anckers
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Justin Shannon said:

The only difference between .36 and .37 was an added null pointer check, which would not inherently make it any less stable. In fact, it should make it more stable.

If you were using AviTab 0.4.5, there was a bug in that version that caused X-Plane to crash if the user was using it with other multiplayer plugins (like xPilot, PilotEdge, IVAO, etc.). The 0.4.6 update fixes that crash.

The random crashes that have been happening with xPilot are still being tracked, but at this time, no known fix is available. To date, I've never been able to reproduce the crash, which makes it increasingly difficult to fix. I am working directly with Laminar, but we've not been able to find any leads yet.

THXS for answer.
I did update AVI TAB and just now received exactly same crashes, as before. (LOWI to EHAM flight) NO crash report generated - will save the log.txt -pls let me know if you wish to see it.
However will now update to version .38 (did the test with .37) and with hope that problems disappears.

Still fps drops after 40 min flight (using 3 monitor in 3D view and the monitor No 4 showing maps etc). I start with 120/27 (120 fps is the total fps to card) and it drops to 80/19 fps at FL 400 after a while.
The problem is that xPilot "believe" that total speed is lower than( 1.0 ground speed)  @ 20 fps and kick you out from VATSIM - although x-plane reporting 1.000 ground speed in the fps-window who always is active in my x-plane settings (and the "reality" speed between x-plane and card is over 75 fps). However this is another problem worth noting...

Goran Anckers
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Goran Anckers said:

THXS for answer.

After 40 min flight with xPilot v.38 I received same crash as before. Log is saved and it ends with:

"--=={This application has crashed because of the plugin: [XPLM_PLUGIN_XPLANE]}==--
(Art controls are modified.)"

Flying with ZIBO B738-800x latest version 3.46.1

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

@Goran Anckers can you make the link public? It's telling me "Access Denied".

Goran Anckers
Posted
Posted

Did discover that Terrain Radar was updated 2/2 this year, to version 1_24_0. That may have to do with the crashes, will report back if they is still there or gone, later.

Goran Anckers
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Justin Shannon said:

@Goran Anckers can you make the link public? It's telling me "Access Denied".

Done

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Goran Anckers said:

Done

Thanks. That log indicates a Vulkan Device Loss, not an xPilot crash. You’ll need to file a bug report with Laminar. 

Goran Anckers
Posted
Posted

OK, just received a crash again. This time with all the "latest" plug-ins that I have attached to X-plane.

Latest log.file etc. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xbPxFm_HPm5QpkA-zOAsIhuPnPggwieL/view?usp=sharing

Really frustrating knowing crash "will come"...LoL

Goran Anckers
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Justin Shannon said:

Thanks. That log indicates a Vulkan Device Loss, not an xPilot crash. You’ll need to file a bug report with Laminar. 

THXS - will contact them, tomorrow...PHuuu

Goran Anckers
Posted
Posted

There is one thing I have observed. Before crashes - xPilot send a warning message (that I really hate) that FPS is to low. To fix the problem I change View (shift+w) and FPS accelerate to at least 29 FPS. This maybe involved in the "upcoming" crash? It is always AFTER the "warning message" crashes comes - who may have some affect (I don't know?)

Goran Anckers
Posted
Posted
On 2/2/2021 at 5:08 PM, Justin Shannon said:

After a lot of investigation I suspect "Little Navmap" causing the crashes of X-plane. If I turn it off before "take off" I have NOT received any new crashes of X-plane.

Sorry for all the inconvenience this issue seems to have caused.