You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Drastic performance drop when connetcing to VPilot

• vpilot
  • msfs
  • fs2020

BRIAN MUJICA

BRIAN MUJICA
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have noticed that when I connect to Vpilot fps goes from 55 to 35, gpu from 99% to 70%. Sometimes when I am flying as soon as Vpilot catches atc coverage gpu can drop from 60% to 30% usage, thus making it unplayable. I use MSI afterburner to monitor the performance and clearly something is off. At first I thought it was a MSFS update , but after flying around 40 hours without Vpilot without having any performance issues, I am now certain it's Vpilot causing it.  

Edited by BRIAN MUJICA

• BRIAN MUJICA changed the title to Drastic performance drop when connetcing to VPilot
Robert Ericsson
Posted
Posted

I have this problems too in P3DV5.

Tried just now to fly from London, 45 fps without Vpilot/Vatsim, 20 fsp online.

Is it Vpilot or Vatsim who causes this?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
On 1/29/2021 at 5:32 PM, BRIAN MUJICA said:

as soon as Vpilot catches atc coverage gpu can drop from 60% to 30% usage

That doesn't make any sense ... I don't see how being in range of ATC can have any effect on your GPU usage.

Does this happen only when there are other aircraft nearby (check the .aircraft list) ?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Robert Ericsson said:

I have this problems too in P3DV5.

Tried just now to fly from London, 45 fps without Vpilot/Vatsim, 20 fsp online.

Is it Vpilot or Vatsim who causes this?

Check your model matching as you don’t want to use for example fslabs models for ai.

• 2 weeks later...
BRIAN MUJICA
Posted
Posted
On 2/4/2021 at 8:42 PM, Ross Carlson said:

That doesn't make any sense ... I don't see how being in range of ATC can have any effect on your GPU usage.

Does this happen only when there are other aircraft nearby (check the .aircraft list) ?

It did not make sense for me either, I just did not know what was really happening. It's been almost a month and I have not encountered any problems with Vpilot. It has been overall a good experience. However, I reduced the aircraft display distance and the amount of aircraft to display. I am not an expert on the software but I did notice that performance decrease when there's significant amount of traffic (as expected). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

As additional info, make sure that your model matching excludes any incredibly detailed add-on planes, and includes only "AI models" (stripped-down models which, by design, appear good enough from the outside but include no interior modeling, cockpit systems, etcetera).  Your pilot client does not need to spawn in 15 iterations of a fully-modeled detailed plane (FSLabs, PMDG, etcetera) which you'll only be seeing from dozens or hundreds of yards away.  Doing so is not only a practical waste but can significantly impact FPS. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Faisal Saleh Alquraishi
Posted
Posted
On 2/4/2021 at 10:42 PM, Ross Carlson said:

I also have noticed 5-10 frames drop when connecting to the network, with no atc but some VATSIM traffic. This started to happen after the latest FS2020 update.

• 8 months later...
Martin Kamenicky
Posted
Posted
On 2/16/2021 at 2:44 AM, Robert Shearman Jr said:

As additional info, make sure that your model matching excludes any incredibly detailed add-on planes, and includes only "AI models" (stripped-down models which, by design, appear good enough from the outside but include no interior modeling, cockpit systems, etcetera).  Your pilot client does not need to spawn in 15 iterations of a fully-modeled detailed plane (FSLabs, PMDG, etcetera) which you'll only be seeing from dozens or hundreds of yards away.  Doing so is not only a practical waste but can significantly impact FPS. 

How can I check out,  that my Vpilot does not show different types of Aircrafts ? Where can I find it ? 

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Under Settings and Model Matching.

With FSX and P3D, you can expand the list of models to see everything vPilot found, and uncheck anything which represents a detailed complete model.  With MSFS2020 by default vPilot only uses the default AI models, but, you might have some custom .vmr rules which unwisely use fully-detailed models to represent others.  You would have to open those .vmr files in a text editor to see that.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png