You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How VATSIM Controllers Should ACTUALLY Handle New Pilots

Robert Shearman Jr

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Some may consider this self-serving, and maybe it is.  But I hope the point is taken from it just the same.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted

Really enjoyed this. Completely agree that this is how it should be done. It is not always possible to offer this kind of help, sometimes due to workload, sometimes because of the pilot not asking when not sure and taking suggestions on board like this one did. However, I find it really rewarding to get a pilot that might be afraid of ATC and show them that we're all here to help and have fun. 

spacer.png

New and want some help? Send me a message on Discord at GoodCrossing#4907!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

At around 4m35 I did make the point to the pilot that he had served himself well by asking for pattern work after, and not during, the event.  Full disclosure, my Ground controller did ask me earlier that night about a pilot that was looking for pattern practice and I asked him to tell the pilot we were too busy at that time.  But when the pilot makes a good choice about where and when to make their first few online flights, I would hope that most turn out like this one did. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted

Yep, exactly right. While some situations might not allow for a good first experience with ATC help, most of the time you're not too busy to provide a service and the pilots are more than happy to receive the help.

spacer.png

New and want some help? Send me a message on Discord at GoodCrossing#4907!