You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Controlling voice audio level

• audio help
  • audio

Scott Fausel

Scott Fausel
Posted
Posted

I had an enjoyable flight from Albany to Providence in the Dash-8 Q400 last night, thanks to some amazing virtual ATC.  vPilot worked very well, but I had one issue: I could not adjust the audio volume via my aircraft VHF radio.  I set an appropriate volume in Windows and vPilot settings, but I wanted to make it lower during times I needed to "talk" to my virtual FS2Crew first officer.  Turning the volume knob had zero effect wither way.  In comparison, I keep VHF2tuned to ActiveSky ATIS, and simply turn up the volume knob when I want to hear the ATIS report, and back down when done.  The volume knob for VHF1 has no effect when tuned to an active VATSIM voice control frequency.  Thus I struggle to hear the first officer during checklists and such, as the channel vox traffic drowns him out.  Is this a Majestic Q400 issue, a vPilot issue, or a VATSIM audio framework issue?   Any solutions?

Thanks!

Scott

Robert Cohen
Posted
Posted

Same problem with MSFS/vpilot. I can deal with the volume knobs in the planes not working, though it would be nice, but also the output volume on the client itself seems to have very little or no effect on incoming radio calls.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

What helps me is to keep the airplane sounds coming through the speakers, and the communication sounds coming through the headset.  If your PC speakers and headset are separate audio devices (which most are these days), it should be fairly straightforward to set this up -- get your sim sounds running through your default audio device, and set the output device on vPilot to use the headset.  I've also found that lowering the sim sound volume through Windows Mixer and then boosting the overall system volume helps to get the ATC audio louder when needed.

In cases like Scott's where additional sound channels would be useful, you might try something like VoiceMeeter Banana or VoiceMeeter Potato.  It's a virtual mixing board that adds several virtual inputs and virtual outputs, allowing the mixer to act as a "go-between."  In my case, I use VoiceMeeter to put the vPilot or xPilot output for ATC communications into my headset's left ear, and Discord casual voice chat plus streaming software alert sounds into my right ear.  That makes it easier to focus on one or the other, and if I need some extra sound isolation I can pop one of the cups off of one ear for a moment.

Hope that helps.  You can find me on my Discord server and ask in #tech_support channel if you want to talk specifics or need help getting VoiceMeeter set up.  My server link is in my signature image (may not be visible on mobile).

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• 5 months later...
Les OReilly
Posted
Posted

MSFS does have COM Audio Level Variables.

I concur that it would be valuable to see that vPilot could have Audio Level control for COM 1 and COM 2 Track these Variables so that we could adjust the audio level of the TWO com radios vs each other... sometimes it would be nice to drop the audio level from an ATIS vs a Controllers Audio...