You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New Pilot (EGGK-EGPH)

Nicholas Jackson

Nicholas Jackson
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

Bit of advice if it's no trouble to a new user of Vatsim.

Had my 2nd experience of VATSIM (1st time was listening and taxiing at Gatwick) and already I can see it's going to be a game changer.

Flew out of EGKK tonight contacted departure engaged autopilot got cleared to FL130 on the LAM1Z SID I was then told to contact UNICOM 122.800.

When I change to this frequency do I continue my flight plan as normal in relation to planned altitude I was expecting to be handed over to en-route controllers. Still in a big learning curve and taking baby steps so once I reached Lambourne I exited the sim, next time I will go a little further until I get a little more comfortable in my abilities.

Any advise or guidance would be appreciated.

Regards

Nic

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted

Once you are handed to Unicom everything becomes your responsibility so any further climbs, descends or directs become your discretion.

• Like 1

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

And yes, you can continue with your flight plan, which you have defined as your intentions. Not having ATC will not change that.

Of course, ATC CAN change your flight plan if they decide that to be necessary, but while uncontrolled, you would simply use your own discretion, as Koen says, which will probably result in you using your original plan.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Essentially, proceed as though you are cleared as filed/planned the rest of the way, and announce your intentions at key stages of the arrival.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Nicholas Jackson
Posted
Posted

Thank you guys for the quick & concise replies, much appreciated.

Regards

Nic