You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unsure of some procedures

Charles Paluda

Charles Paluda
Posted
Posted

So just did my first flight on vatsim finally. I’ve had an ID since like fs2004 or maybe earlier but was too chicken, didn’t have good chart access etc. and so never actually got on the network except to sit and listen. I’m soooo hooked. The flight was IFR though and I just realized, if I do a VFR I have no idea how to go about requesting to land at my destination. I assume call up tower if it’s on but if it’s just a center or approach controller?

Nico  de Lange
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will try and answer you as short as possible.. 🙂

The way to understand when to call which ATC has got to do with understanding airspaces; for me at least when I finally understood that, it opened a whole new world to me. 

Lets say you only have TWR online.. his airspace normally; this will depend on each airport; is from 0ft to 2500ft AGL out to about 10nm horisontally.  So youre flying along at 2000ft AGL and when about 10nm out you will call TWR and says:  ABC Tower; Type C172; 10nm North West request joining and landing instructions. Its also good to listen to the ATIS and confirm to  ATC that you have  Info B 

APP controller normally covers from 2500ft to FL140 and horizontal to around 60nm. Again this depends on airport and regions. Not set in concrete....

So when you`re flying at 2000 ft agl you are "outside" or "below" that controllers airspace..  He may give you ATC service or ask you to monitor Unicomm 122.80 if his busy..  BUT you should always contact any ATC in any case. And in most cases they will provide service to you.

You will say to the APP controller on initial contact; ABC APP; Type C172; 5nm North West of VOR/NDC or visual referance point; 2000 ft; airborne at airport DEF enroute to airport GHC; HDG 120.. 

When ready to land at your airport the call to the APP and/or CTR controller will be the same as for TWR

Hopes this helps you. 

Edited by Nico de Lange
  • Thanks 1

Nico de Lange

Charles Paluda
Posted
Posted

Thanks, that helps quite a lot actually 🙂  I really can't believe I waited this long to start actually flying on Vatsim.  I don't often do VFR flights actually but this will be helpful for the occasional one.

• Like 1