You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Feature Request: COM1 and COM2 separate audio devices

James Price

James Price
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Has the idea of having the ability to assign separate windows audio devices to COM1&2 ever been considered? I have multiple sound cards/devices installed and connected to different speaker inputs in my audio system in my full cockpit. I would love to have the ability to send COM2 output to a different device in order to route it elsewhere instead of both COM radios being mixed together.

I wrote a plugin for vPilot to route messages and such to my app and it works very nicely! Brilliant in fact. I was hoping to be able to intercept the audio there since there was no separate audio device dropdown provided, Oh well. The data that IS provided works very well thank you. 🙂

Thank you for considering.

James

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yes, it has been considered. Right now it's a limitation of the AFV voice system.

Regarding your plugin, in case you didn't notice already, I changed the namespace for plugins starting in 2.8. So you'll need to update your plugin to use the new namespace. No other changes were made in the plugin system.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

James Price
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Ross Carlson said:

Yes, it has been considered. Right now it's a limitation of the AFV voice system.

Regarding your plugin, in case you didn't notice already, I changed the namespace for plugins starting in 2.8. So you'll need to update your plugin to use the new namespace. No other changes were made in the plugin system.

Thank you sir for the response. Maybe when/if they fix the dreaded volume spike issue they will add multi sound device capability. (one can dream LOL)

Well I started vPilot at 2.8, so all good 🙂 Love it.

James

Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted

James,

As a fellow sim builder (www.simfest.co.uk) we actually started out writing a cabin interphone system for our own sim which strangely morphed into AFV (a VHF/HF radio simulation and not a cabin interfone).... 

High on our personal list is to rework the Audio tree within AFV to route to different audio devices.  We ourselves use a MOTU8 mixer by sending it OSC commands from our interface with PSX which is in turn being fed by the real ACP's.

Our plan is to feed VHF L, VHF C, VHR R, HF L, and HF R into different audio devices to the relevent mixer inputs.

At the moment we just have COM1 too, we need to fix that... Hopefully some enthusiasm and spare time for hobbies will come for Mark and I at the same time and we get this little job done.

Oh and then get the cabin interphone system done!

Cheers

Gary

AFV Lead (and huge fan of your sim work from the early days)

• Thanks 1

James Price
Posted
Posted
On 2/19/2021 at 9:27 AM, Gary Oliver said:

(and huge fan of your sim work from the early days)

Hi Gary,

Ted and Mark speak highly of you, and I am very impressed by your projects! Hope to meet someday. I was supposed to be over there last year, but of course that was hosed.

I am using the real ACP units in my 737 MAX, which of course have an input for each channel. I use a MOTU24 sound box so I have simple way to route things as well. A COM2 output would be ideal 🙂 

I would be happy to help program if AFV is programmed in something I know such as VB.NET, C#, C. I'm very green with Delphi and C++ but may be able to cobble my way through. 

Tried to attached a pic of my current setup but it fails here, so here is a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvq3wp869b2x55x/JamesPit.png?dl=0

Thanks for the reply 🙂

James

a.k.a. 737SimGuy from the old days 😉

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
On 2/19/2021 at 12:27 PM, Gary Oliver said:

Our plan is to feed VHF L, VHF C, VHR R, HF L, and HF R into different audio devices to the relevent mixer inputs.

Gary, I think we may have talked about this via Discord, so forgive me for repeating myself, but it would be great if we could target not just the audio device, but also the channel. This would be great for users to be able to route COM1 to the left ear and COM2 to the right ear, with separate volume controls for each. This would make listening to the ATIS while monitoring a busy approach frequency much easier.

• Like 1

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 5 months later...
Les OReilly
Posted
Posted
On 2/21/2021 at 12:24 PM, Ross Carlson said:

Gary, I think we may have talked about this via Discord, so forgive me for repeating myself, but it would be great if we could target not just the audio device, but also the channel. This would be great for users to be able to route COM1 to the left ear and COM2 to the right ear, with separate volume controls for each. This would make listening to the ATIS while monitoring a busy approach frequency much easier.

I was literally going to ask for this 🙂 in another thread!!  the PS Engineering has the Intelliaudio feature that does just this..  It will put the COM 1 Audio at your "10 o'clock" and put the COM 2 are your "2 o'clock" it is an unbelievable feature that is just amazing!!  This is fantastic... here is a link to the unit.  They used to have a demo app to download but I could not seem to find it...

https://www.ps-engineering.com/PMA450B.html

Les