You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATIS??

Matt Livingstone

Matt Livingstone
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Posted this in "Pilot" forum but perhaps best in here so have re-posted.

Does anyone know why I can't hear ATIS? Connecting via vPilot and can communicate with controllers fine, but when I swap to ATIS frequency there is no audio and no RX/TX? I've tried this at a few UK airports (EGCC, EGLL, EGKK) with the same outcome. I'm sure it's something in my setup as I'm guessing others in the UK can hear the ATIS fine. I've looked through the vPilot settings and can't find anything which transmits ATIS on another device so assume vPilot should use my headset as set for ATC for all radio transition (including ATIS).

I'm stumped 😞

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help a new VATSim pilot get more out of the network.

Matt

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately, voice-based ATIS has been spotty network-wide lately, and apparently it's something on the AFV server-side that needs fixing.  Most pilots, I presume, have gotten in the habit of retrieving the ATIS in text form through their Pilot Client.  It's a bit immersion-breaking, for sure, but it will get us by until the AFV developers can work out what's going on and deploy the necessary server updates.

Disclaimer: this is my broad, layman's understanding based on what I've seen in these forums as well as on other VATSIM-related social media.  I'm not part of the VATSIM admin nor the AFV development teams.

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Matt Livingstone
Posted
Posted

Thanks Robert. I'll revert to ".metar <ICAO>" to retrieve ATIS for now in vPilot. I assume that's what you mean by the below?

11 minutes ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Most pilots, I presume, have gotten in the habit of retrieving the ATIS in text form through their Pilot Client. 

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Umm, no, not exactly.  In cases where no ATIS is being provided (i.e. there's no controller working that airfield), .metar {icao} will get you a METAR observation, and then you can draw your own conclusions about runways and approaches in use.  But if a VATSIM controller has an ATIS published, you can usually double-click on their ATIS callsign to get the text version, or, type .atis {icao}_ATIS if you're using a Pilot Client that doesn't have a clickable Controller List.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Mike Teague
Posted
Posted

and if their text is up, you can also get it thru acars if your aircraft has it (im thinking of fslabs in particular)

this is probably more realistic than listening to it

• 4 months later...
Richard Jellyman
Posted
Posted

Do we know whether this problem is still being worked on as it’s now up to July and when trying to use it last night in Wellington New Zealand still no luck.