You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Obtaining Clearance in Absence of Available Clearance/Ground/Tower Controller

William Knaust

William Knaust
Posted
Posted

Hello.  New to VATSIM.  I fly PilotEdge and got used to availability of top-down coverage at PilotEdge system airports.  I filed a flight plan (KMSP-KSEA) and am ready to go, but I only see a Denver Center controller in my area.  Do I request clearance from that controller when airborne?

Thanks

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted

Are you under his control aka in his airspace.

William Knaust
Posted
Posted

Still on the ground KMSP.  Ready to taxi, but waiting for correct procedure W/O airport controllers.

William Knaust
Posted
Posted

In absence of further guidance, I will depart according to my filed flight plan, then when entering ARTCC sector for nearest available Center Controller (in this case, Denver Center), I will request activation of my IFR clearance.  This would not normally be acceptable as I will already be in Class A airspace when reaching Denver Center (currently in Minneapolis Center ARTCC), but I don't know an alternative.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Correct. I see you there, and there is no ATC currently responsible for your flight. Looks like Denver has gone off, but if it had still been on you would contact them before entering their airspace, and they would find your flight plan. Meanwhile, broadcast your intentions on UNICOM 122.8.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted

You don’t need to request IFR activation when enroute. The center controller would just give you a squawk and you continue in his airspace.

If you are not in the airspace controlled in some form you depart on Unicom fully.

William Knaust
Posted
Posted

Okay, great.  I will treat as non-towered airport for departure.  Understand IFR clearance will already be active.  Contact nearest ARTCC controller when in sector and receive/enter squawk code.

Thanks again!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Yep -- to say it more simply, if you're operating IFR in an area where no ATC is available, proceed as though you are cleared as filed while announcing intentions of each key flight segment on 122.8.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png