You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Not all aircraft have lights on

Magnus Meese

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Was crossing a busy Gatwick zone VFR the other night just after sunset. Most aircraft around had lights, but as I was cleared across the one I was supposed to cross behind had nothing and so I didn't see him. Cancelled the crossing to be safe, waited for the next guy. Didn't see him either and thought I at least was experiencing the known bug. There was a guy at the holdpoint cleared to line up behind however, so I figured I'd just look at him as an indicator on when to start moving across, but as I did I saw a completely dark A320 pass across his nose on the runway, the guy I was looking for. AFAIK I saw every other aircraft relevant to me on this flight, but not these two, both everyday airliners.

I only have Asobo aircraft installed, and use the liveries from Project Mega Pack only for the three airliners. I'm posting mostly as a reference for others noticing such an issue, as I didn't find anyone with the same problem in an extensive search. I figure this comes down to a weird MSFSism, a flaw in the Mega Pack liveries, or simply that the two pilots both accidentally happened to not have any lights turned on (if all lights off actually is relayed correctly over the network?).

If anyone should have any tips or ideas at all, those are all welcome of course.

• Thanks 2

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

I noticed this fairly recently as well in MSFS. It seems that if lights are on for someone else prior to you connecting, the light conditions don't sync. The other pilot needs to cycle lights. It seems the light status is only sent on change from a client, and you don't get current states when connecting.

• Like 1

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

• 2 months later...
Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Could a temporary fix maybe be for vPilot to assume lights on for MSFS specifically? Might be a bit annoying on ground, but far better in the air.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Vincent Koeman
Posted
Posted

Still seems to be a (major) issue with flying at night in MSFS; see e.g. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1120284512?t=00h09m00s for me trying to spot landing planes (they're all completely dark).