You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Europe GA IFR

Evgeny Zavershinskiy

Evgeny Zavershinskiy
Posted
Posted

Hi. Need some explanation about the IFR flight rules in Europe. 

In the USA it is FAA Flight Regulations which rules applies on whole country. Do we have something similar for Europe? Or every country has it's own "regulations" especially when we talking about GA? I guess for airliners there has to be some general rules but what about GA?

Second question is more specific. For example I planning a GA IFR route and my destination is controlled airport with published STAR's and approaches. How do I need to plan an arrival route? Using the published STAR's seems illogical because the GA aircraft cannot fly the profile (STAR entry point is usually very high for GA, speed and rate of descend are too big (fast)). I need to contact the approach at the point of entering the controlled airspace but where I should plan that entry point? It has to be somewhere in the STAR route or I can enter from random direction and approach then has to vector me? And more into this question - if the approach is not online and the only controller is tower, I must somehow get myself to IAF and not be a problem to another GA vessels or airliners that follow STAR to same IAF.

Thank you in advance.

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted

EASA rules apply for 31 countries which covers the majority of the european area. https://www.easa.europa.eu/the-agency/the-agency

Evgeny Zavershinskiy
Posted
Posted (edited)

M-m-m, I cannot reach this site for some reason but I guess it is not a site problem. Could you please provide some alter source of maybe PDF with the rules? There has to be one.

Update: no need, site is available. Thanks.

Another update: found this GA_IFR_Flight_Planning. Think it might be interesting not only for me.

Edited by Evgeny Zavershinskiy