You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SIM crashes during IFR Flight.

Michael Fopp

Michael Fopp
Posted
Posted

Hi,  a bit embarrassing, but my network Master PC crashed in the middle of an IFR flight through London Airspace this afternoon.  I was using X-Plane, so could not re-start from the in-flight position.  I must have just disappeared from the controller's screen.  I went back on line and sent a text message, but am not sure if that was the right thing to do.  I am a real world pilot, but new to VATSIM, so I am not sure what I should have done - if anything.  What do you controllers do when we pilots just disappear?

Dustin Rider
Posted
Posted

Most of the time I give it a few minutes to see if they were disconnected due to a brief internet or network issue and might be back. Since vERAM keeps the datablock until I drop track, if the plane comes back online, it should auto-acquire again and I can re-establish radar contact. However, more often than not, once the aircraft disappears it's usually for good and I just drop the track anyway, since I can only assume they CTD, had to disconnect for some reason, or had more significant internet interruptions.

The only thing that's helpful from my perspective is that if you have to intentionally disconnect and won't be able to come back, just let me know on voice if you can. This lets me know that I can drop track right away which helps me keep the scope decluttered.

Michael Fopp
Posted
Posted

Dustin,  thanks for that. I would, of course, let a controller know if I was doing anything other than follow his last instructions, but the Master PC just crashed so I sent the text message when I re-started it, still in his area.  Not being able to get to where I had been I didn’t want to bother him again as he was very busy. Now I’ve just got to work out why it crashed!  Thanks again, appreciated.  Michael

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't worry about it.

People disappear off line all the time could be any number of reasons.

Crash to desktop, Power Failure, Internet Failure, and people just log off. 

It is the nature of the hobby.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Michael Fopp
Posted
Posted

Thanks, I’ll feel better when I have found out why the PC crashed. Seems to be an issue between the new update of X-Plane 11.51 and xPilot. Has anyone else had problems?