You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Denver Center or Springs Traffic?

Mike Kaminski

Mike Kaminski
Posted
Posted (edited)

If I'm doing pattern work at Colorado Springs East, a non towered airport, do I still radio Denver Center since that's who's controlling the airspace? Meaning, is that where anyone else in the area would be listening on or would I just speak to Springs traffic?

Thank you.

Edited by Mike Kaminski

Dustin Rider
Posted
Posted

The short answer is no. 

The elongated answer is for departures or arrivals to towered fields, you are supposed to call the facility having jurisdiction over the airport. If you departed BJC up north, for example, you would call BJC tower, or Denver approach, or Denver center. However, since CO4 is non-towered, so long as you remain outside the Class C airspace, you can maintain VFR and operate as desired. 

Fun fact: Look at KFNL. Notice how the airport is blue (denoting a towered airfield) but lies within a Class E surface area. There is a portable tower in operation at that airport while they work on finalising the remote tower that is installed in one of the buildings on the airfield. While that's happening, and until the remote tower is finally certified by the FAA, the airport will remain a towered Class E airport. 

Mike Kaminski
Posted
Posted

Dustin, thank you for your answer and fun fact. Just want to make sure I'm not causing any problems. Have a great weekend!