You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

I don't know what to do.

Dylan captain

Dylan captain
Posted
Posted

I really need help getting started on Vatsim. I have a good understanding of my plane but I'm just very uncomfortable when it comes to ATC communications. If someone knows something that can get me onto my feet I would really appreciate that.   

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Did you take a look at the new member orientation course? It's at

https://my.vatsim.net/learn

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

I'd recommend first spawning at a busy airport with ATC and listening in to other traffic. You can use observer mode so that you aren't in the way of other aircraft.

Second, you can plan that on your first flight you only get en-route ATC. (Of course, you can never know who may come online but still.) En-route ATC is the easiest: he'll just give you a squawk and maybe a direct and finally hand you to unicom.

Third, if you're uncomfortable using voice, you can choose the "receive voice" option when filing your flight plan. That way the controller will be talking to you on voice and you'll reply via text. 

KntU2Cw.jpg

John Stockton
Posted
Posted (edited)

Also go on YouTube and watch Aviation101. This guy is articulate and spot on. When VATSIM ATC is online it's the same as real world.

Edited by John Stockton

N313GM, P0: X-Plane 12.01r3, Windows 11, i7-13700k, RTX4080 (16GB), 32GB DDR4 4800

Dylan captain
Posted
Posted

Thanks so much!