You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Few VATSIM Qs.

Manohar Mahadevan 898560

Manohar Mahadevan 898560
Posted
Posted

Ok.. I flew for a short time in VATSIM 2 years ago. now, I want to get back in.

I have a pretty good understanding of real world IFR. But I have some VATSIM specific Q and would appreciate some guidence.

1. Charts. Can I go to AOPA and get the latest and greatest real world charts and use that in VATSIM or do I have to have VATSIM speciied charts that may be different from real world versions?

2. Say, I want to fly from KLAX (LA) to KBOS (Boston), I see there are controllers at LAX so I file my flight plan get my clearence and I take off. then I contact LA Departure and he/she is vectoring me...and I am flying hapyly under this VATSIM controller. But say..there are no other enroute controllers on the way. What happens then, ..would I be without ATC for the enroute? How and when would I transition to say the arrival freq at Boston ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming one is there). Would that controller be expecting me? What if there was an ATC controller at St. Louis ATC enroute. Do I have to change freq to him/her while enroute or can I byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] until the time I reach BOS?

3. if you are starting over,.,,which is prferable functionally? Fsimm1.2 or SB3? I already have FSUIPC etc... I plan to fly only in FS9 for now. not FSX. Maybe a year from now, I'll cnsider FSX and VATSIM.

Thanks.

Manny

PS: Could anyone plase help with the following definitions?

I have a Vatsim ID and its corresponding p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word. I had written this thing down.

Now I am trying to loginto VATUSA. I used the Vatsim ID and I don't remember the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word for Vatusa. So I requested the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word. and this screen is asking me for "User name". I entered the VastimID I got an e-mail with a "conformation ID" (new terminology introduced). Now I am thinking this is the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word so I try to use the Vatsim id for login "username" and the "confirmation ID" as the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word. It doesn't accept it.

So I thought maybe I need to use the "confirmation id" to change my p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]owrd and I click on "change p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word", I get another screen asking me for "CID". Another terminilogy inroducted and my old p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word (which Is what I don't have).

Allright.. Got my p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word changed. ITs a two loop process. yeah...it may be good to keep consistent terminologies and abbrivations.

Stephen Keskitalo 977981
Posted
Posted
Ok.. I flew for a short time in VATSIM 2 years ago. now, I want to get back in.

I have a pretty good understanding of real world IFR. But I have some VASIM specific Q and would appreciate some guidence.

1. Charts. Can I go to AOPA and get the latest and greatest real world charts and use that in VATSIM or do I have to have VATSIM speciied charts that may be different from real world versions?

2. Say, I want to fly from KLAX (LA) to KBOS (Boston), I see there are controllers at LAX so I file my flight plan get my clearence and I take off. then I contact LA Departure and he/she is vectoring me...and I am flying hapyly under this VATSIM controller. But say..there are no other enroute controllers on the way. What happens then, ..would I be without ATC for the enroute? How and when would I transition to say the arrival freq at Boston ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming one is there). Would that controller be expecting me? What if there was an ATC controller at St. Louis ATC enroute. Do I have to change freq to him/her while enroute or can I byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] until the time I reach BOS?

3. if you are starting over,.,,which is prferable functionally? Fsimm1.2 or SB3? I already have FSUIPC etc... I plan to fly only in FS9 for now. not FSX. Maybe a year from now, I'll cnsider FSX and VATSIM.

Thanks.

Manny

PS: Could anyone plase help with the following definitions?

I have a Vatsim ID and its corresponding p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word. I had written this thing down.

Now I am trying to loginto VATUSA. I used the Vatsim ID and I don't remember the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word for Vatusa. So I requested the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word. and this screen is asking me for "User name". I entered the VastimID I got an e-mail with a "conformation ID" (new terminology introduced). Now I am thinking this is the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word so I try to use the Vatsim id for login user id and the "confirmation ID" as the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word. It doesn't accept it.

So I thought maybe I need to use the "confirmation id" to change my p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]owrd and I click on "change p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word", I get another screen asking me for "CID". Another terminilogy inroducted and my old p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word (which Is what I don't have).

so I am still unable to login to VASUSA.

Welcome back, Manohar.

1. You can get your charts from wherever you like, just make sure they're recent. I think ATC frowns upon pilots flying older procedures, even though it's not technically against the rules.

2. When you're not under the direction air traffic control, you are to broadcast your intentions on UNICOM/CTAF, which VATSIM designates as 122.8 in USA. It's a different frequencies in some other parts of the world. ATC will contact you if you enter controlled airspace from uncontrolled airspace.

3. In my experience, FSInn uses more resources than Squawkbox and takes a little while longer to figure out all its features. But if your computer can handle it, I would recommend FSInn.

I would recommend that you read as much of the PRC as you can-http://www.vatsim.net/prc/ (Can be hard to digest it all in one sitting, hehe)

As for your VATUSA problems, sorry, I can't help you, but I'm sure someone else will come along who can.

Manohar Mahadevan 898560
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks stephen for a prompt reply. I posted this at AVSIM (my home forum). Didn't get a response so I came here.

1). Since there is only 1 current version, Using current charts is easier then trying to figure out which older version everyone is using. Thats good. Thank you.

2). I am [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming when I am with LA departure ATC, he/she will ask me to squack unicom 121.8 (USA) and I am on my way.... But at what point do I tune to Boston approach ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming there is one available when I get close)?

3) Yeah.. I have a good PC. I also have multiple PC and widefs and what not. So let me check out FSin. I used to use SB before. SB is simple and works. I just wanted to not miss out on any new features and technology. My fall back would be SB.

4. I managed to log into VATUSA. Thanks

Thanks again.

Manny (Manohar)

Edited by Guest

Michael Bonertz 966129
Posted
Posted

1. Real world charts.

2. When you take off you fly with LAX then if no controllers are where you are then you switch to unicom122.8 until getting close to lets say St. Louis then when you get near to entering their airspace just call and give them a position report and let them know you are enroute to boston. If you fly the whole way and then get to boston same thing call them up give a position report and let them know what you want to do. If you forget and start getting close to someone's airspace they will usually PM you with a contact me @..... message asking you to get ahold of them however this is not the preferred method.

3. The FSinn and SB3 thing is like the Chevy vs. Ford debate get them both try em both out and see which one you like best. I use SB3 have tried FSinn and didn't like it that much nothing wrong with the program just like the simplicity of SB3. FSinn has more functions, both serve their purpose and both work well. Just my 2 cents.

Manohar Mahadevan 898560
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike.

2. That answeres my Q 2.

3. Yeah.. I'll just give a brief try to Fsin. I know how SB works...

thanks again.

Manny

PS what is homebase. I forgot what my homebase was. I live in Dallas Forth worth for real. I would prefer to fly in So Cal area and would prefer KLAX to be my homebase. Do I have to specify anywhere where my homebase is?

Travis Faudree 821145
Posted
Posted

Home base is just for fun; to let people know where you are from. When I lived with my parents in VA, my home base was the small 2300 foot runway up the road, W75. When I attended ERAU in Daytona Beach, it was KDAB. Now that I am on my own and flying for a living in Hilton Head, SC, it is KHXD. If you fly for a VA, I suppose your chief pilot would want you to put your domicile as your "home base", but really, anything is acceptable. I guess if you wanted to be funny, you could put MARS or MOON, as they are both 4 letter identifiers just like any other airport in the world.

Manohar Mahadevan 898560
Posted
Posted

All right..I filed IFR from KLAX to KSAN and flew the Baron 58. Had a ground contoller and the LAX Approach contoller. This VATSIM is for me. I am going to do this a lot more. Its going to keep my IFR edge and saves some money

I used Fsinn1.2. It was pretty intuttive and has some nice stuff.

The only problem I had was I could hear the folks well. It was breaking constantly. I remember, the sound was never a big issue before. I used both. Roger Wilco and Team speak. I installed them both and switched back and forth. not much difference. Others kept breaking up but they could hear me. So I decided to use Chat window.

I need to figure out what I need to fix to get the voice/sound going.

Any ideas where I should look for fixing the sound issue?

Thanks.

Manny

David Kluempers
Posted
Posted

For VATUSA p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word problems visit the main VATUSA website and select the Lost P[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word link for help. If you still have problems contact the VATUSA webmaster at vatusa6[at]vatusa[dot]org.

David Kluempers - 884266

VATSIM USA Division

Bryan Furnace 991354
Posted
Posted

If I got into VatUSA and changed my e-mail address, is that the e-mail address that my enrollment verification will be sent to?

David Kluempers
Posted
Posted

Bryan,

Please email me directly on this.

David Kluempers - 884266

VATSIM USA Division

David Kluempers
Posted
Posted

Ooops, you could have found my email address ont he VATUSA staff page but here it is: vatusa12[at]vatusa[dot]org

David Kluempers - 884266

VATSIM USA Division