You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VAT-Spy would not run.

• help
  • error

Andreas Libach

Andreas Libach
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi, I am having a problem with the VatSpy application, after downloading VatSpy via the setup file, it launches perfectly, but if I close it and try to re-open it via the shortcuts literally nothing happens, but if I go to the folder where it is downloaded, and open the application it shows an error message stating: "The VAT-Spy application data folder does not exist! Please reinstall VAT-Spy", I have several times tried to re-install vat-spy but without luck.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Andreas Libach

• Andreas Libach changed the title to VAT-Spy would not run.
Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

My best guess is that you are logged into the computer using an account that does not have administrator privileges. Is that the case?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Andreas Libach
Posted
Posted

Yeah, i am not the administrator. Idk if i have admin privileges. But i can probably run it as administrator.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The problem is that if you run the installer using credentials other than the credentials you used to log into the computer, then it will install the configuration and data files in the application data folder that belongs to the administrator account. Then, when you run the application, it will run as your regular non-admin user, and look in your application data folder and not find the configuration and data files, because they're not there.

So, you have to run the application using the same account that you installed it as. You can right click the icon and choose "Run as Administrator" and then enter the same credentials that you entered when you installed it.

Roderic Saunders
Posted
Posted

I am having the same problem.   I only have one administrator which is me and I do have it setup to run as administrator.   What I have been doing to work around is deleting the XML file in the VAT-Spy roaming folder in AppData.  Any help would be be appreciated

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Roderic Saunders said:

I am having the same problem.   I only have one administrator which is me and I do have it setup to run as administrator.   What I have been doing to work around is deleting the XML file in the VAT-Spy roaming folder in AppData.  Any help would be be appreciated

Do you run VAT-Spy on a secondary monitor?

Frank Kopp
Posted
Posted

Just posted a new bug for this:

When having VAT-Spy on a second monitor to the left in Windows 10 it records its position to VATSpyConfig.xml like this:

<LastWindowLocation>
    <X>-1926</X>
    <Y>331</Y>
  </LastWindowLocation>

If you close VAT-Spy and then try to reopen it like this it will freeze and not start.

Removing the above section from VATSpyConfig.xml solves the issue and it starts perfectly on the right screen at x=0, Y=0 the next time.

My assumption is that the <X>-1926</X> causes the issue.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Please follow the instructions in this reply that I just posted on another related thread:

• 1 month later...
David Wilson-Steer
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ross ... just read this topic and installed VatSpy  as administrator as suggested above and it works perfectly ... thanks again.

• 7 months later...
Cameron Renkema
Posted
Posted

I have the same issue, I run the program as an administrator and nothing happens, I deleted the xml folder and still nothing works

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

I've been having that problem randomly.  Checked Windows Event Viewer and found the faulting module (nvoglv64.dll - from Nvidia video card driver).  Updated the driver and now all good.  

If that doesn't work, check the event viewer and see what the crash report says

Trevor Hannant