You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Some questions

Leon Xu

Leon Xu
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey guys, I am new with vatsim, I encountered some problems during recent use. 

Q1 Tonight I connected to the airport, I saw frequencies, I input the ATIS frequency into my onboard panel, but I heard nothing, same with the other frequencies, but I am able to initiate private chat with ATC. Texting is ok. I have no idea why.(I don't have mic, but I think at least I should be able to hear other players communicate with ATC)

Q2 I am so afraid to talk to ATC, because I am not very familiar with my plane and take off/landing procedure, don't wanna cause any trouble to ATC and other player. Are there any websites introducing stand procedure and provide aircraft manual?

Your help is highly appreciated.

Edited by Leon Xu

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Q1: take a look in these forums for that issue and solutions. Example:

This seems like it’s a fairly common problem for whatever reason. Which pilot client are you using by the way? 

Q2: You should be familiar with the aircraft you are flying before taking it on VATSIM. You don’t need to be an expert but you should know the basics of flying it and getting your aircraft from point A to point B. Which aircraft are you flying?

As to mic fright, that’s totally normal and the best way to get over it is to just jump in. Before you know it you’ll be a pro. I’d recommend finding a small not-so-busy airport with ATC online for your first couple flights so you get used to talking to ATC and following directions. If you need help with phraseology and whatnot the VATSIM PLC is a great place to start. https://my.vatsim.net/learn 

Cheers!

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

From what I remember reading somewhere, AFV won't work if you don't have a mic selected. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• 5 weeks later...
eddie kan
Posted
Posted

@Leon XuI think I have the same situation as you do. Furthermore, when I tune the freq to ATIS, it reads by the original in-game ATIS (I'm using FS2020)

I am curious to know, if vPilot able to overtake the in-game communication system? Furthermore, I would like to know the mechanism of the sim platform (in my case, FS2020), that the "world" I spawn in, is the only "world" the all other simmers of vPilot also in? If so, how about those simmers in Xplane? Will I meet them in MS2020?

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted

Vpilot will inject the aircraft around you in the sim. this is irrespective of which sim those pilots are using. vatsim does not use the microsoft servers but has their own servers which handle the aircraft. if i am connected to a server in the UK i can see traffic from all other servers as well.