You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Newbie with a big problem in AVC

Justin Kappauf 935571

Justin Kappauf 935571
Posted
Posted

When I had problems earlier with the talk feature in AVC I attempted to uninstall it. I received a message that said some files weren't removed and had to be removed manually. I tried and didn't have sucess. they say they can't be deleted because I don't have authorization. Then I try to reinstall the installer says that i can either abort retry or ignore these files. I hit retry and get the same message so i ignore. then when i go to start it up it says something about port 3290 is in use and the program will now terminate. so, i can't start sb3 and use voice or use avc for voice and i don't just want to use text. please help me. oh, and it might beuseful to know that i should have authority to move or delete any files because i am admin on my computer. please help. thanks

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted

Hi Justin,

Am I right in thinking that you are using Squawkbox and AVC together, if so then theres no need for AVC if you have Squawkbox. I don't know too much about it, but try connecting up to the network with FS and Squawkbox only. You will still be able to use voice on Squawkbox without the need for AVC.

I'm sure someone will come along with a better reply.

Goodluck

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

www.sinvacc.info

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

Paul is correct. AVC is no longer needed for either Squawkbox or FSInn. The reason you are getting the post 3290 message is because SB and AVC are trying to use the same port.

If you need help setting up then go to the Pilot Resource Center at www.vatsim.net/prc and follow the tutorials on setting up.

Ruth

VATGOV7

Vice president, Communications

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Justin Kappauf 935571
Posted
Posted

sadly, even when I try using just fs and sb3 I get a message that voice communications are disabled, even when I don't have avc on.

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted

hhmm I don't have much idea about that, but maybe your ports could be a problem or any programme running that may also use the same connection for voice.

I ran into several problems setting up my new router and re-configuring the ports etc.

have you had a look here : Squawkbox set up

you may want to try a complete uninstall of SB3 and then re-install it, that is ofcourse if you hadn't already done so after uninstalling AVC.

I'm sure Ruth or someone will come along and give you some better information.

Goodluck Justin

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Justin Kappauf 935571
Posted
Posted

but, like I said earlier avc wasn't uninstalled completely. the dll files are still in the folder and can't be deleted. and I think these files are the problem and if they are deleted then evrything will be fine. if not then I can reinstall SB.

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted

ah sorry Justin I completely missed that point.

Erm have you tried a restart of your computer, sometimes after an uninstall you need to shutdown the comp in order for it to stop utilising the dll files and all that malarkey.

If that still doesn't work, try 'ctrl, alt & delete' and go to the processes tab, have a look through some of the processes running and see if its any of the files that wont delete, this may enable them to delete.

If that doesn't work try dragging the files into the recycle bin then emptying the recycle bin, I've found this works now and again for those files that just wont seem to want to delete.

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Rey Lopez 883899
Posted
Posted

umm you said SB3 that supports voice on its own...just use that.

The thoughts and/or words or any general things that are expressed above are not a direct reflection of the views of the actual poster myself, Rey Lopez, and should be disregarded and left unread.

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted
umm you said SB3 that supports voice on its own...just use that.

he tried that Rey,

sadly, even when I try using just fs and sb3 I get a message that voice communications are disabled, even when I don't have avc on.

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Justin Kappauf 935571
Posted
Posted

alright SB is working now after I restarted my computer! thank you all for your help! Now I'm off to fly/observe some more!

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted

You're welcome Justin, I'm pleased to hear you got it working.

And a big Welcome to VATSIM, happy flying

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Justin Kappauf 935571
Posted
Posted

voice and text comms all good! first flight was sucessful but, I was only texting on UNICOM because there were no controllers at the airport.

Darren Fletcher
Posted
Posted

that happens some times, try flying around the UK on a Sunday evening around 8PM ish GMT you will have loads to lay with hehe

yours

Darren Fletcher

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted
that happens some times, try flying around the UK on a Sunday evening around 8PM ish GMT you will have loads to lay with hehe

Too much ATC, hehe in a good way ofcourse, I was glad to see the return of VATSIM sunday in the UK, but it was rather difficult to decide where to fly with all the ATC about. Great effort from the controllers on a sunday evening.

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net