You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSInn type model matching

Daniel Mckee

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

As some will know, the old client FSInn worked on the basis of using your own aircraft library to generate how you saw other aircraft. i.e. another pilot flying a DC3 but appearing as something else with FSInn you could change how you saw another aircraft into any aircraft that you had in your own aircraft library. Also say another pilot had a Baron 58 but you did not what you could do is change the other aircraft into something similar that was in your library.  I have probably got you all totally confused now but most of you "oldies" who used FSInn will know what I mean. So my query is, is there any way that future versions vPilot and indeed xPilot could generate multi player aircraft the same way? That way we would not have to worry about ,vmr files and CSL files. Thank you.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel Mckee said:

That way we would not have to worry about ,vmr files and CSL files.

How would adding the ability to override the model used for a given aircraft remove the need for VMR and CSL files?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

With an FSInn type system/programming somehow it picked up what other pilots were flying (maybe a different type of .vmr or CSL file) but the point I am trying to make in my very confusing manner (lol)  is that if you did not have the relevant .vmr or CSL or  FSInn equivelant file you could select specific pilot's call sign and change that aircraft to whatever you wanted so long as you had the aircraft in your own library. I remember that quite often I did not see the other pilots correct aircraft and I would just ask  "what aircraft are you flying?" and then I would change what I was seeing to the correct aircraft or if not in my own library, to a very similar one. I am sure that there must be other pilots in the forum who can recall FSInn and probably could better explain how FSInn worked. Also maybe I can do this in vPilot but am ignorant of the process?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I understand, and I'm aware of how FSInn let you override a model match. I just don't see how adding such a feature would mean you don't need to "worry about vmr files and CSL files" as you said. You still need a system for automatic model matching, or else you would have to manually select a model for every aircraft that you encounter, and that's obviously no good.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

Thinking about it further I agree that we would still need .vmr, CSL files etc but could an additional function be created to be like FSInn so a model match could be overridden?