You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Procedure for connecting FS9 & Swift on multiple computers to the VATSIM Network

Philip Cohen

Philip Cohen
Posted
Posted

On the Simulator Computer running Windows XP

1.  Open FS9  - XP is funny it doesn't give the option to run as administrator when you right click just asks which user wants to open the program.

2.  Go to any airport you plan on taking your next flight from or any airport just to sit and listen to ATC for that matter.

On the Remote Computer running Windows 7

3.  Open WideFS as Administrator

4.  Open Swift Launcher as administrator

4a. go to windows taskbar and click on the arrow that says show hidden icons (near clock) then click on the orange circle to open swift core.

4b. here you will want to adjust the IP address for your Sim Machine - find that by opening a command prompt then type ipconfig on your sim computer.

5. Open Swift GUI as administrator

6. Open Audio for Vatsim as administrator.

Back to the Sim Computer

7. Connect Flight Simulator to Multiplayer session (Flights/Multiplayer/Connect) - if you see swift Win32 0.9.6.75 (##ms)(or whatever version of swift you are running) in the session box highlight that then click join.

Go back to the Remote Computer 

8. In Swift GUI you should get a mapping confirmation with the amount of aircraft available this will let you know your simulator is connected to swift (Confirm This)

9. Click on the connect tab and enter VATSIM user data and connect

10. Go to Audio for VATSIM and connect.

Lastly if you have Vatspy or any other program that lets you see who is online open that up and confirm that you are online and at the airport you are at in the sim.

I hope this will help any other FS9ers that are still out there and looking to get online.  I have been able to replicate 4 times now with no issues.

• Thanks 1

Phil Cohen WWA1573

WestWind Virtual Airlines

VATSIM ID 990300

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Phil,

thanks a lot for researching and publishing this procedure! Did you have trouble with swift's inbuilt voice function, or why are you starting the AFV client separately?

Philip Cohen
Posted
Posted

That is one of the things I will be testing to see if it is necessary.  In all of the reading I did, it all stated that FS9 needed an external voice program to go along with Swift.  Next time I log on I will try without, maybe that will solve my heartbeat issue??  I have gotten that from every server that I have logged into.

Phil Cohen WWA1573

VATSIM ID 990300

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Yes, swift has AFV already integrated.

Can you actually see other aircraft in FS9? Normally, for this to happen you need swiftCORE on the FS-machine.

And, yes, in WinXP there's no option to "run as administrator" - you control this by logging in to a Windows XP session with admin rights and I guess that's what you are doing anyway.

I'm back at home now, we can have a look at it together these days.

Philip Cohen
Posted
Posted
On 3/15/2021 at 8:21 AM, Andreas Fuchs said:

Can you actually see other aircraft in FS9? Normally, for this to happen you need swiftCORE on the FS-machine.

We had a company fly in on Sunday and i was able to see the other WWA plane that was at the airport in FS9, albeit not in WWA colors for some reason but that just may be a small tweak I have to make on my end with the model mapping.

• Like 1

Phil Cohen WWA1573

VATSIM ID 990300

• 1 month later...
Michael Fopp
Posted
Posted

I have Master PC with X-Plane running and Swift.  Do I have to run Swift on my networked Slave which provides the external views?  Like you are doing in FS9.