You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Starting my VATSIM adventure, got a few questions.

Jacek Szczerbinski

Jacek Szczerbinski
Posted
Posted

Hello!

I've been flying offline for some time now and I've finally got the courage to try and take it up to the notch, and so here I am! I've got a few (possibly stupid) questions and I would really love if someone who knows their way around helped clear some things for me, so I don't do something stupid when I actually get online :).

1. I often work on call, would it be a problem if I happen to disconnect mid-flight if I need to go?

2. Is default FSX weather good enough for VATSIM or should I maybe download a special app for it?

3. How does an airport operate with just a ground/delivery controller and no one higher up to give a takeoff/landing clearance?

4. If there is no ATC online, can I simply go with my flight plan as filed or should I maybe communicate with other aircraft via UNICOM?

5. Is it true that a controller can control outside of his country's airspace if they read up on all the guidelines and procedures?

6. Is it possible to be an ATC who communicates primarily via text?

Thanks a lot and have a nice evening/afternoon!

Jacek

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

1.not a problem.  just disconnect when you need to. 

2.  FSX weather is essentially dead.  FSRealWX is a freeware add on but ActiveSky is my recommendation.

3. you'll get your IFR clearance and taxi instructions, then short of the runway "frequency change to advisories approved," then see #4 below. 

4. just proceed as though cleared as filed, and announce your intentions on 122.8.

5. you'll choose an area to train in as your primary facility.  it may or may not be where you live. once trained, you can also choose facilities to be a "visiting controller" in, subject to their training requirements. 

6. not common nor recommended, but certainly allowed.  there are a few controllers with speaking disabilities I'm aware of that control primarily via text. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png