You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Beginner questions

Tommaso Baliani

Tommaso Baliani
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I'm very interested in joining VATSSA because I would like to bring added value to the ATC coverage of countires as Kenya, Uganada, Tanzania and other subsaharian countries.

I've read at least ten times the website infos (at https://vatssa.net/), but I can't find any information about a couple of things, hope you can help me:

1)Who should I contact to ask to be transfered from Vatsim Scandinavia (my division that I joined more than 1 year ago) to VATSSA? I can't find anything useful on the vatsim website. And also, there is a bug on the support page that does only allow to change REGION and then DIVISION...but since VATSSA is part of the REGION I'm already in, I can't do it using the support page tool or the profile page tool.

2)How do you keep in contact between each other? Do you have a discord server?

3)How long do I have to wait between asking for training and starting it? Because I'm actually very pissed that it took 8 months at VATSIM SCANDINAVIA for me to get a training date. They were awfully disorganized.

Hope I'll find a fresh start with this region, I've flown in africa in the 3 most recent events, and it was unforgettable.

Cheers

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Tommaso,

to be fair, I do not think that VATSCA is disorganized. You may have noticed that there is a tiny pandemic going on and VATSIM - like so many online hobbies - got swamped with new members who require training. But there is just a fixed number of coaches, that's the bottleneck. Other VACCs are facing similar issues, in Germany you are looking at months before you can start your training, it may be very similar in other popular places. Human resources have always been a bottleneck at VATSIM and at the moment you simply see an even bigger backlog due to the drastically increased number of new members.

Tommaso Baliani
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

Hi Tommaso,

to be fair, I do not think that VATSCA is disorganized. You may have noticed that there is a tiny pandemic going on and VATSIM - like so many online hobbies - got swamped with new members who require training. But there is just a fixed number of coaches, that's the bottleneck. Other VACCs are facing similar issues, in Germany you are looking at months before you can start your training, it may be very similar in other popular places. Human resources have always been a bottleneck at VATSIM and at the moment you simply see an even bigger backlog due to the drastically increased number of new members.

But it all happened in Early December 2019/January 2020, before everything went down. I'm just saying that. OK, I should have said that Training is disorganized (from my POV), not the entire VATSCA. Actually I enjoyed it as a pilot, It's just that right now I want to do something cool and help covering (as ATC) under-covered areas of the network, and since I took part at some African events on VATSIM and enjoyed it much more than others, combined with my fascination for Africa, I think I should give a try at VATSSA. I'm not new to covering under-controlled placed---just think that I've been a Tower Controller at PHNL (Honolulu Airport)...on IVAO! For 60 hours+! And you know how USA is under-served on IVAO, I guess. I'm saying this to give more context on why I'm leaving VATSCA for VATSSA.

Tommaso Baliani
Posted
Posted

And just to clarify...my question about wait before starting training was made out of curiosity...It was not made to be unpolite, to say to I pretend a fast times or other...I was just wondering about how it works in this division and what to expect. Can't wait to start again as ATC in a new scenario.

Adam Turner
Posted
Posted

I don't know if your issue has since been resolved, but one of the VATSSA staff below should be able to help you out. 

@Nelis Coetzee  @Wesley Blaine @Timothy Scott-White

Adam Turner | VATSIM Membership Manager - North America

Timothy Scott-White
Posted
Posted

Hi 

I wish I could help but unfortunately both myself and Nelis have resigned from our VATSSA staff positions, im not sure about Wesley but your best bet is to chat with @Simon Irvine 

TIMOTHY SCOTT-WHITE 
ATC Director
##  [email protected]   
##  www.vatssa.net
##   ##

VATSSA_LOGO_BLACK_2000px.thumb.png.2954cee77eab9e778d40559b580e9008.png