You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VAT-Spy version 1.3.0-beta.1 available for download

Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

VAT-Spy version 1.3.0-beta.1 is now available for download from the website or via the automatic update system build into the application.

This version adds the display of pilot ratings in all flight tables, on the mouse over popup on the map, and on the flight details popup.

• Like 1

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your continued work on the program Ross.

Can we get an option to add/remove columns from the display please, or at least the ability to resize columns with no minimum width?   The addition of the pilot ratings column means when I have all my tools positioned on the relevant monitor that I can't see the ETA column without scrolling.  For me, I'm not interested in Pilot Ratings so have no desire/need to see these and I'm sure there will be many others who have no need for these either.

Additionally, unless the width of the main program window is sufficient, that column won't display the full text of the rating.  I'd rather not have to buy a bigger monitor just to be able to easily see at a glance the info I want to see.

vatspy.png

• Like 3

Trevor Hannant

Robert Lee
Posted
Posted

Hello thanks for developing this application. The latest updated beta when changing to map and to filtered details tab a part of the map shows up and obstructs the full list

VATSpy.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Robert Lee said:

Hello thanks for developing this application. The latest updated beta when changing to map and to filtered details tab a part of the map shows up and obstructs the full list

Nothing changed with 1.3.0 that would cause this. However, to be sure, please try installing the previous version and see if this issue still occurs:

https://vatspy.rosscarlson.dev/files/VATSpy-Setup-1.2.0-beta.1.exe

Obviously, when you first run 1.2.0, it will prompt you to download and install 1.3.0, say no to that prompt.

Ivan Shapovalov
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your continued work on VATSpy!

Question: are there any plans for making VATSpy HiDPI-aware?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ivan Shapovalov said:

Question: are there any plans for making VATSpy HiDPI-aware?

No plans, currently. What kind of issues is it causing?

What I would like to do is rewrite VAT-Spy using WPF, which should make the performance when scrolling the large data tables much better. That should also make High DPI support much easier. Not sure when I'll have time for that, though.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Trevor Hannant said:

Thanks for your continued work on the program Ross.

Can we get an option to add/remove columns from the display please, or at least the ability to resize columns with no minimum width?   The addition of the pilot ratings column means when I have all my tools positioned on the relevant monitor that I can't see the ETA column without scrolling.  For me, I'm not interested in Pilot Ratings so have no desire/need to see these and I'm sure there will be many others who have no need for these either.

Additionally, unless the width of the main program window is sufficient, that column won't display the full text of the rating.  I'd rather not have to buy a bigger monitor just to be able to easily see at a glance the info I want to see.

In 1.3.2, I made the minimum size of the columns on the arrivals/departures tables smaller so that they should all fit now, when you have the window as small as it's shown in your screenshot.

• Like 1

Ivan Shapovalov
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

No plans, currently. What kind of issues is it causing?

What I would like to do is rewrite VAT-Spy using WPF, which should make the performance when scrolling the large data tables much better. That should also make High DPI support much easier. Not sure when I'll have time for that, though.

Blurry UI (text, map and everything) when the tool is used with UI scaling (Start → Settings → Display → Scale and layout) > 100%.

Edited by Ivan Shapovalov

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ivan Shapovalov said:

Blurry UI (text, map and everything) when the tool is used with UI scaling (Start → Settings → Display → Scale and layout) > 100%.

No issues with text or buttons being cut off?

Ivan Shapovalov
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

No issues with text or buttons being cut off?

No, just blurry UI.

Which is sort of expected, you don't have both sorts of issues at the same time. Blur means that Windows internally renders the app in 96 DPI (so that its UI stays consistent) and then scales the bitmap to match the global scaling factor.

JOERG PETERS
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Ross,

I have only recently started using the filter function in VAT-Spy. Like Robert Lee above, when I click on the filter tab, only the first line of flights are displayed correctly. The rest is overlayed with artefacts from the map. The lines show in segments, when i click on them - please see screenshot. This has been there in the past 1.3 versions, and is still there with the current update. I have just re-installed the 1.2.0-beta.1, and it works fine in that version. Hope this helps..

Screenshot 2021-03-31 104114.png

Edited by JOERG PETERS

Mike Teague
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

In 1.3.2, I made the minimum size of the columns on the arrivals/departures tables smaller so that they should all fit now, when you have the window as small as it's shown in your screenshot.

could we just resize them ourselves? or remove altogether? i personally dont need the rating column

• Like 3

Ryan Alderton
Posted
Posted (edited)

Also having the same issue as mentioned above (see below)

image.thumb.png.c06eb6b84d039286c7ef27bca77f8725.png

EDIT:

It also appears there's an issue with the data handling - it shows an ISO date instead of dest airport, shown below

image.png.84c0f64452a5323bee9764c419318445.png

Edited by Ryan Alderton

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Ivan Shapovalov said:

No, just blurry UI.

Which is sort of expected, you don't have both sorts of issues at the same time. Blur means that Windows internally renders the app in 96 DPI (so that its UI stays consistent) and then scales the bitmap to match the global scaling factor.

Yes, that's why I asked. If there are controls being cut off, that's fairly easy to deal with using flow panel containers or adding margins, etc. If it's just blurry, then it's not worth making any DPI awareness changes, in my opinion. I'd rather spend my time on a WPF rebuild which will bring many other advantages.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike Teague said:

could we just resize them ourselves? or remove altogether? i personally dont need the rating column

No, that would require a significant amount of work and it's not worth it for the few users that either don't want to see some of the data or are using a very small screen area for VAT-Spy. The pilot rating information was added at the request of VATSIM staff in order to promote the pilot rating program and encourage more pilots to get the training.

• Like 1

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Robert Lee said:

8 hours ago, JOERG PETERS said:

I have only recently started using the filter function in VAT-Spy. Like Robert Lee above, when I click on the filter tab, only the first line of flights are displayed correctly.

3 hours ago, Ryan Alderton said:

Also having the same issue as mentioned above

This has been fixed in 1.3.3. Thanks for posting the bug report!

• Thanks 2

Robert Lee
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

This has been fixed in 1.3.3. Thanks for posting the bug report!

Great now in the update thank you

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted
On 3/31/2021 at 5:43 PM, Ross Carlson said:

The pilot rating information was added at the request of VATSIM staff in order to promote the pilot rating program and encourage more pilots to get the training.

I fear it may be sending entirely the wrong message for them when yesterday it seemed to say "nobody much bothers with ratings"! Just having it in the "flight details" screen would give the info to those that want it (anyone?) without advertising the almost complete lack of rated pilots?

Alternatively making the column just 3 digits wide for P1-P10 would avoid the negativity of acres of empty space and may satisfy the likes of @Trevor Hannant for less wasted space?

• Like 1

Bill Casey

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

I would echo Bill Casey's point.  While I can understand a wish to encourage pilots to develop their skills and knowledge, the step from P0 to P1 is more like a chasm and frankly I think most will not bother, but that's another issue.   I think the suggestion to have a code rather than full text in the column would be a good compromise.       

Andrew

• Like 2