You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New To VATSIM Experienced an Emergency Inflight

Choon Leong Wong

Choon Leong Wong
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi,

Just thinking of sharing my experience that just happened an hour ago  

Origin : WMKK

Dest : WMKP

Aircraft : CRJ 700

Since I'm new to flight n vatsim, I'm taking things slow, learning, but tonight was really an eye opener for me. 

Was cruising along on AP when suddenly WMKP Center Atc contacted asking why am I descending without clearance. I didnt realise I was descending as it was just the cruising phase at FL260.

Atc cleared me to FL130, while I'm trying to figure out what happened at FL240,wrestling control from the aircraft. Then it dawned me, THAT MY AP IS GIVING RUNAWAY TRIM NOSE UP ATTITUDE!... I tried disengaging AP then contacted center that I'm having technical issues. 

I adjusted the trim back to level flight,  n thought ok this should be fine. 

then I re-engage AP and suddenly it pitches me full nose down!. I oversped n airframe broke. Atc was still radioing am I there repeatedly. 

I was pumped with adrenaline.as the failure wad not planned n its a bug from the plane I think. 

it all happened so fast.  from start to end, I think its under a few minutes  . I have to say sorry to @Prestley Shim for the deviation. 

Edited by Choon Leong Wong

Tim Wong
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM 🤣

Do you want your Virtual Airline to become an official partner on VATSIM or to participate in the VAA Program?
Visit https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/virtual-airlines

Tim Wong
Director of Virtual Airline Relations
VATSIM.net Virtual Airlines and Special Operations Administration
9KMxVhG.png

• 1 month later...
Prestley Shim
Posted
Posted

No worries, Wong. Happens at least once to every one of us 😀. Hence why I always encourage new members to truly be familiar with their aircraft prior to flying online including its quirks, behaviors, strange characteristics. Eg: I used to fly the BBS A330 prior to the Aerosoft A33X and the climb performance was horrible, so I had to do some things out of the norm to get it operating normally. That being said, I am familiar with the shortcomings and quirks of the particular addon and will be able to communicate my difficulties with ATC if needed. This goes to any new addon aircraft you might get.

But whatever it is, if you are experiencing any aircraft related difficulties while flying on the network which will result in abnormal flight attitudes, always communicate them to ATC. We are aware that such things may happen, but we will always appreciate if it is communicated to us. 

Hope you've had better luck with the aircraft since then and see you again in Malaysian skies 😁

Prestley Shim
Training Director, VATSIM Malaysia vACC

624414433_1-3Kmln9M.thumb.png.3103bdd61ee5e1900ec0ae3c2e8fe53e.png