You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Allowed way of training?

Per Ljung

Per Ljung
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi!

As a newbie I try to learn and take things step by step.

I wonder if it's allowed only to use vatsim some parts of the flight (of course not connecting when your're in middle), rather disconnect after performing some parts. 

Eg. starting from ramp and do the initical atc procedure, but then disconnect and perform the rest of the flight as offline?

Of course you shouldn't connect when airborne, but is it allowed to do the opposite?

Best regards,
Per

Edited by Per Ljung
Corrected mispelling and added text to make it more clearly

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

I don't think I can find a regulation, which forbids you to do that. However, remember that this is a two-way street: It should also be a good experience for the controller and using resources on a pilot, who doesn't intend to do, what he/she is cleared to, is kind of counter-productive. It happens, that pilots have to logoff due to a number of reasons - computer crash, etc.

I would rather suggest that you get the experience by flying online - yes, you will make mistakes, but hey - we all have AND we all do still!! I might smile at you, but only in the nicest kind of way: A remembering of when I last did exactly the same mistake and lived to tell the tale. 🤭😉

All the best and happy flying on the VATSIM net.

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Per Ljung
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thank's for the answer.

Yes, I agree.

Will continue reading and and then instead try to perform complete flight from a very small airport. 

Edited by Per Ljung
Mistyping sentence.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Per Ljung said:

Will continue reading and and then instead try to perform complete flight from a very small airport. 

And remember that you may not have ATC coverage throughout your flight. ATC can log off at any time. And actually, so can you!

The only thing which is not acceptable is for you to log ON in the middle of controlled airspace except at the gate, but you can log on outside CAS in flight and then enter from outside, with a filed flight plan.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Alistair Thomson said:

The only thing which is not acceptable is for you to log ON in the middle of controlled airspace except at the gate, but you can log on outside CAS in flight and then enter from outside, with a filed flight plan.

That is not actually a rule, you can log in and out where ever with the only exception being on a runway or taxiway.

• Like 1

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

Rules and regulations aside: In a busy airspace, particulary an approach sector with very little room for the controller to sort things out, when planes pop up from nowhere, this should also be avioded. I think it is a better suggestion to encourage pilots to do a whole flight than looking for loophole in the regulations to avoid certain parts of a flight. As I wrote to Per, it should also be a good experience for the controller - otherwise there is a risk of seeing less atc coverage in the future.

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I agree -- there isn't a specific rule prohibiting pilots from connecting mid-flight.  But the problem is, some pilots use that as a means of subverting ground delays, then re-connecting mid-air and forcing the terminal or enroute controllers to work them in.  I liken this to using the shoulder of a highway to pass stopped traffic, except that in the real world, there's actually rules against that.

If you're going to connect mid-flight, do it in a way that allows controllers to work you into the traffic flow -- and don't use it as a means to subvert delays, which are generally in place for a reason.

I know that wasn't the original poster's intent nor his question -- but since the topic has veered to the etiquette of performing partial flights, I felt it needed to be said.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Rob,  not sure the reason for doing anything if an element of committing the offence.  If it is a problem then it is a problem, regardless of why it is done.

I have deliberately disconnected to avoid an unpleasant atc interaction on more than one occasion.  On one occasion the TWR controller called a SUP because I disconnected to depart and then reconnected.  The SUP agreed there was no issue, and that the controller was over stepping the mark.

I do agree that one should avoid connecting within say 30-40miles if controlled, outside of that I always check the airspace by using a viewer to ensure it isn’t bedlam.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

My recommendations would be:

• Aim to do full flights. Once you're in the air and TWR has handed you off, the worst is behind you, might as well keep flying.
  • Disconnecting is 100% fine at any point, people do it for all sorts of reasons, and controllers will prefer that over getting in over your head and messing things up for everyone.
  • Reconnecting is also allowed, but it's considered good etiquette to try and minimize the disruption. I'd reconnect well before my top-of-descent, to give ATC a fighting chance of working me in gracefully.
  • A useful trick when reconnecting is to connect as observer first; this gives you a chance of assessing the situation from within before connecting "for real".
23.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
On 4/12/2021 at 5:32 AM, Sean Harrison said:

Rob,  not sure the reason for doing anything if an element of committing the offence.  If it is a problem then it is a problem, regardless of why it is done.

I have deliberately disconnected to avoid an unpleasant atc interaction on more than one occasion.  On one occasion the TWR controller called a SUP because I disconnected to depart and then reconnected.  The SUP agreed there was no issue, and that the controller was over stepping the mark.

I do agree that one should avoid connecting within say 30-40miles if controlled, outside of that I always check the airspace by using a viewer to ensure it isn’t bedlam.

The distinction is that in my post I referred to "etiquette" and you're talking about "offence" i.e. the rule.

If you deliberately disconnected to avoid "an unpleasant ATC interaction" and then reconnected outside that controller's airspace, I personally think it's a bit dubious, but it's your prerogative, and as you point out, there's no rule against it.  If the "unpleasant ATC interaction" you subverted was the controller trying to tell you that there is traffic metering in effect and you didn't feel like waiting your turn so you took off anyway offline and then connected in Departure's airspace expecting them to sort you out even though you just "jumped the line," well there's no rule against that either, but it's my opinion that there should be!

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Per Ljung
Posted
Posted

Thank's for all the answers.

I think will start by making complete flight instead disconnecting the middle.

Hope to see you in the air!