You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Who to contact?

Matthias Roschk

Matthias Roschk
Posted
Posted

Hello,

after a long time i flew online.
But as i was in EDDP i wonder who is to contact?
As you can see in the Screenshot there was a EDMM_R_CTR and EDDM_Z_CTR, but the Atis does not held any INfo who is to contact or who of them is responsible for what Region?

Where can i get such info ?
Also the Freq i could not found in Navigraph charts as you can see.

Matthias

vatspy.jpg

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted

The airport Atis won’t tell you who to contact but the controller personal atis could say what their area of responsibility is. Also navigraph frequencies are based on the real world frequencies which currently are not fully supported due to channel spacing in the sims. Best thing is to wait for a contact me if you are unsure who to contact when in the air. On ground You could always connect to one and ask and he will politely suggest the other frequency or keep you if you are on the correct frequency.

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted

In the picture you provided there is a TWR online at EDDP - if you were departing out of EDDP you should talk to the TWR-controller. If you are arriving into EDDP just wait for the contact-me.

Matthias Roschk
Posted
Posted

This was the Atis from EDDM_R_CTR:

This is Muenchen Radar - online AT LEAST until 2100 UTC
ATIS on 123.125 - charts on vatsim-germany.org - routes on grd.aero-nav.com

and this from EDDM_Z_CTR

This is Muenchen Radar - online until 2100 UTC, covering only EDJA
ATIS on 123.120 - charts on vatsim-germany.org - routes on grd.aero-nav.com

So it dosent say so much about the responsibility.
For sure, if a GND/TWR/APP is online, they will Handover you, but if not, it's not so easy.

But, if i understand right, it is ok to wait until one of the CTR ask me to contact him?
Can i start my flight and T/O without being in contact with one of the CTR ?

Matthias

Matthias Roschk
Posted
Posted
Just now, Lars Bergmann said:

In the picture you provided there is a TWR online at EDDP - if you were departing out of EDDP you should talk to the TWR-controller. If you are arriving into EDDP just wait for the contact-me.

i take the Picture after my Flight. Before there was no TWR online

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Matthias Roschk 821976 said:

This was the Atis from EDDM_R_CTR:

This is Muenchen Radar - online AT LEAST until 2100 UTC
ATIS on 123.125 - charts on vatsim-germany.org - routes on grd.aero-nav.com

and this from EDDM_Z_CTR

This is Muenchen Radar - online until 2100 UTC, covering only EDJA
ATIS on 123.120 - charts on vatsim-germany.org - routes on grd.aero-nav.com

So it dosent say so much about the responsibility.
For sure, if a GND/TWR/APP is online, they will Handover you, but if not, it's not so easy.

But, if i understand right, it is ok to wait until one of the CTR ask me to contact him?
Can i start my flight and T/O without being in contact with one of the CTR ?

Matthias

No, just contact one of them and ask them who to talk to rather than take off without talking to anyone.

In this case you could have gotten the right controller from the controller info: _Z_CTR's info says "covering only EDJA" - you are at EDDP, not at EDJA and thus need to talk to EDMM_R_CTR.

Edit: Neither of the two were covering EDDP, you could only have gotten that info by asking.

Edited by Lars Bergmann

Matthias Roschk
Posted
Posted

ahh, ok..thanks.
But for some reason its maybe better to have a clear info in the ATIS about the responsibility.

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Matthias Roschk 821976 said:

ahh, ok..thanks.
But for some reason its maybe better to have a clear info in the ATIS about the responsibility.

That is very hard, as additional controllers comming online will change who is responsible for what. Had there, for example, been an EDMM_M_CTR in addition to the _R and _Z_CTRs they would have been responsible for EDDP.

You could, in theory, refer to https://nav.vatsim-germany.org/files/edmm/charts/misc/public/EDMM_CTR_Sectors.pdf to figure out who to talk to exactly depending on who is online, but that (in my opinion) is overkill for any pilot. If the controller info/ATIS does not provide the information you need just contact any of the CTR controllers you can get a hold of, they will point you the right way.

Edit: Aaaaaand I should'n post on the VATSIM forums while tired. Neither EDMM_Z nor EDMM_R cover EDDP, so they would have told you that you can depart with UNICOM. The point of talking to one of them to obtain that information still stands though.

Edited by Lars Bergmann

Matthias Roschk
Posted
Posted

thanks, the Sector overview is very helpfull.
But i know now, that i can ask who to contact, and if i  have the wrong one the other tells me who to contact.
Thats fine so far...thanks at all .. and thanks to all the really nice Controllers and his work !