You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

I need a little info about VATSIM,

Ryan Cunningham

Ryan Cunningham
Posted
Posted

Would I find any controllers at regional airports for prop aircraft? Or is it mostly commerical.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Controllers will provide an ATC service to any aircraft which is flying legally in their airspace, and it doesn't matter what the aircraft is. Many flights in Vatsim are conducted in private light single-engine prop aircraft, both VFR and IFR, and controllers are happy to handle them.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Peter Toft
Posted
Posted

Hello Ryan, 

As Alistair said above, the controller will provide service to all aircrafts in the airport. If you have a center (xxxx_CTR) controller online, and you are unsure whether he covers the field you are at, do not hessitate to send him a message and ask if he controls the field you are at:). 

Enjoy, 

Peter Toft

VATSIM Network Supervisor

Training Assistant Denmark - ACCSCA22

spacer.png

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Hi Ryan, 

The controller interaction with various aircraft can be a little complex.  The first thing you would need to do is establish what atc is online, and to do that you can use your connection client or a who’s online app or browser.  Then you also need to consider what type of flight you are doing that is VFR or IFR.

ATC callsigns that end with GND, TWR and APP will provide all aircraft at that particular airport and if it’s APP they may also do nearby airports.  By way way of example BN_TWR only provides services at the YBBN airport.

if it is another type of controller, _CTR, then it is a matter of asking them by PM.  They generally provide services inside controlled airspace for aircraft transiting.  Some will ‘Extend’ downward to airports but it can be very hit and miss, hence why a PM works best.

if you have a more specific question fire away.  Regardless of whether you are a prop or jet you get the same service from ATC.  The difference of service depends between your flight rules VFR vs IFR.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Johnathan Guif
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have found that ATC is happy to help and service smaller airports with VFR/Propliner traffic. I do most of my flying through regional airports in the Midwest. The Center controllers, (as long as you're in their airspace) are always really happy to have traffic no matter what it is.

Edited by Johnathan Guif

Jonathan DAngelo
Posted
Posted

@sean Harrison I’m new to vats I’m. What’s PM?

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

Private message. 

KntU2Cw.jpg

Jonathan DAngelo
Posted
Posted

thanks for the response.  How does one send PMs?  Through client or through forum.  Thanks in advanced for your patience for my basic questions.

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

When you connect to the server (online) there should be a text/chat tab in the connection client.  If you type 

.msg QFA663 Hi what’s happening

that only goes to the person using callsign QFA663 regardless of where they are in the world.

So if you need to ask a controller a Private Message just use the “.msg” with their callsign and you are privately messaging them.

if you are using SWIFT you can’t simply use “.m” instead of “.msg”

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png