You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

File location referance.

Nicholas Camperos

Nicholas Camperos
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello.

I am currently working on creating distributable session profiles for controllers. The concept was that all they had to do was place a folder in their VRC folder within Documents, and import the session profiles. I found that it does work. I can reference a folder or file within the VRC (documents) folder without a problem. For example, instead of selecting C:\Users\user\Documents\VRC\stuff\sectorFile.sct2, I can now just put stuff\sectorFile.sct2. This allows the session profiles to be plug and play, without having to manually chose the sector files (especially since there are multiple sector files and POF files depending on what profile you will be using.)

It works great and as intended. Unfortunately, though, I have found that after a computer restart, this no longer seems to work, and the only way for it to work again is to delete and re-import the session profiles. 

I was wondering if anyone has ever dealt with such an issue/knows of a better way to do it so that these non specific (C:\Users\user) paths don't have to be used, and you can reference a sector file without having the username of the Windows user on the file path.

Edited by Nicholas Camperos

Nicholas Camperos
Posted
Posted

Found a solution to fix the problem. Best to not locate anything within the documents or VRC folder. On analysis, it was found that the file is referenced based on where you imported your session profile from. If you imported a session profile that happened to be located on your desktop, it will search your desktop, but once again, it will not function after a restart/iteration. I will assume this is a VRC bug or just a problem with how the file location data is parsed and saved. To get around this issue, locate your sector files/.ini file somewhere outside of your Users folder on windows. C:/Sector Files (for example) will work just fine .That way, you can still reference it for any user that uses your profile without having them to select each POF or sector file incase you have multiple depending on what profile you use.