You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Spawning

Nigel Barrett

Nigel Barrett
Posted
Posted

Hi...Brand new to Vatsim so I hope this is not a stupid question..... how do you know which gates are empty before spawning at an airport or is it just pot luck?

Regards

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Nigel,

welcome to the club!

There are several ways to investigate the status of parking positions.

• an excellent way, in my opinion, is a freeware program called "Little Nav Map". It will read all your SIM-sceneries and then display airport details in its map. When you jump to an airport you will see who else is online at VATSIM and where they are parked

• another freeware program to do this is SimToolKitPro (choose "LiveMap", then go to an airport of your choice and zoom in)

• another way would be to just load your SIM at a gate of your choice and then connect to VATSIM in OBSERVER-mode only. This way you will be able to see everyone else, but they cannot see you (=no inconvenience caused to anyone). Select another parking spot if yours is taken already, then re-connect to VATSIM in normal mode

This list is not complete, there are other programs and websites to accomplish this task, have a look. I normally use LittleNavMap, but that's just me.

Nigel Barrett
Posted
Posted

Many thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Fingers well crossed for my first venture!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)

All that being said, my tactic is usually just to spawn in wherever I want (within a non-movement area, that is) -- and if I happen to find that I am on top of another aircraft, I will disconnect, move, and try again.

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

All that being said, my tactic is usually just to spawn in wherever I want (within a non-movement area, that is) -- and if I happen to find that I am on top of another aircraft, I will disconnect, move, and try again.

oh, you are one of those aircraft huggers! 😄

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

oh, you are one of those aircraft huggers! 😄

Does that mean that Bob's tactic, which I've seen suggested in a few posts, is for some reason not recommended? If so, why not? Note that Nigel is looking for useful advice.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

At EHAM, we have a tool for this: EHAM Gate Finder