You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

A solution for No Audio/Voice on xPilot - with " Error starting voice server client: WaveBadFormat calling waveInOpen "

Robert Timothy

Robert Timothy
Posted
Posted

Hi all, first post. I have searched and found numerous people complaining about this issue scattered across the web including these forums and the most common solution given is "check windows 10 mic privacy settings" and in some cases this works, and others it does not. My post refers to the people this does NOT work for...

What got me thinking about this is somewhere one of the people trying to help said "this is a soundcard error - does your system have any unusual sound setups" and a light went off inside my head.

I have a consumer grade sound studio, which might sound fancy, but these days more people do YouTube or podcasts and its pretty standard if that's ones thing. I suspect this is why there's more and more people having this issue. Mine was set to put out audio at 192,000khz @ 24 bits and I never considered this could be throwing a spanner into the whole works.

Solution was I quit any xplane/vatsim apps, downgraded the sound in the control panel for the "sound compressor/mixer" to CD quality which it says 44,100khz @ 16 bits - and bingo, no more errors.

Quick Read Solution: In your PC / System / Device / Audio Settings, downgrade the Mic/Input/Line to 44,100Khz / 16-bit.

Remember to turn it back up again before you stream.

(by sound compressor/mixer, I am referring to the myriad of physical devices, that your condenser mic plugs into, with the phantom power one side, and  USB into your PC on the other. If however you have a soundcard in your computer that also has higher bitrate options, I suspect you will run into the same issues).

I really hope this helps someone else be able to use the radios in Vatsim.

• Thanks 1

• Ross Carlson pinned this topic