You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VatSpy Stuck On Loading and Slow Updates

Alex Romano

Alex Romano
Posted
Posted

I am having a similar problem however I get stuck on the loading part. TO sum it up, starting a couple days ago my VatSpy has been extremely slow in Loading, like 2m+ loading times. I have tried uninstalling and even running as admin and even deleting the config file. it still loads really slow, sometimes even doesn't load anything once started. - BGyqhcTJ.png8TBSkjoq.png

To troubleshoot, I have uninstalled the program 3-4 times, along that I have deleted the config files a couple times and still no problem, I have looked at every forum and cant find a fix to it.

• 1 month later...
Mark Galbraith
Posted
Posted

I've been having issues with VAT-spy not loading data for some time.  I recently updated my internet connection and router, and I now have a 1.2Gb/sec Internet connection.  My local wire connection is Gigabit Ethernet.  Since the issue with VAT-Spy not updating seemed to get worse with the faster connection, I decided to run an experiment.

I disabled the wired connection and forced the system to use the 400 Mb/sec Wi-fi connection.  Same router, same uplink, same computer; just using a slower network connection.  VAT-Spy has been 100% reliable in retrieving data from the servers.  I suspect VAT-Spy has a performance problem when operating with extremely fast network connections.  Perhaps the data is arriving so fast, VAT-Spy isn't ready to receive the reply when it comes in.

I can't say for certain what the problem is, but my data shows that it works with slower network connections, and becomes unreliable when the network speed is very fast.

Alex Romano
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Mark Galbraith said:

I've been having issues with VAT-spy not loading data for some time.  I recently updated my internet connection and router, and I now have a 1.2Gb/sec Internet connection.  My local wire connection is Gigabit Ethernet.  Since the issue with VAT-Spy not updating seemed to get worse with the faster connection, I decided to run an experiment.

I disabled the wired connection and forced the system to use the 400 Mb/sec Wi-fi connection.  Same router, same uplink, same computer; just using a slower network connection.  VAT-Spy has been 100% reliable in retrieving data from the servers.  I suspect VAT-Spy has a performance problem when operating with extremely fast network connections.  Perhaps the data is arriving so fast, VAT-Spy isn't ready to receive the reply when it comes in.

I can't say for certain what the problem is, but my data shows that it works with slower network connections, and becomes unreliable when the network speed is very fast.

Thanks for the response. I am unsure why the problem is still occurring for me, my wifi runs af about 50 mb/s so I don't think it being fast is the problem. As stated above, my Vat Spy was working perfectly and the next day it decided to start loading slow. I would say there is about 2-3m delays when loading, for example if I am connected to Vat Spy and an airport updates their ATIS info, or a controller goes offline, it will take a couple minutes for me to see it compared to my friends where it will take about 30s.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mark Galbraith said:

Perhaps the data is arriving so fast, VAT-Spy isn't ready to receive the reply when it comes in.

It doesn't work that way ... VAT-Spy is ready to receive the reply before the request is even made.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Mark Galbraith
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

It doesn't work that way ... VAT-Spy is ready to receive the reply before the request is even made.

Are there any logs I can capture and send to you?  VAT-Spy continued to work 100% until I re-enabled the fast network connection.  It only updates about every 3-5 minutes.  Most of the time, I see the "Loading bar" in the upper right, and the status line showing it's downloading data from cluster.data.vatsim.net.  I checked the network stats, and there are no errors on the network connection.  I'd like to help figure this out.  VAT-Spy is the only program apparently having this issue.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

No, there are no logs. If the status bar is showing, and it never completes, that just means no response is being received. Does it eventually work or does it eventually show a timeout error?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC