You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Returning From Hiatus

Brandon Lewis

Brandon Lewis
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

The last time I used the VATSIM network was late 2019/early 2020.  Prior to all the virus stuff.  I decided to come back to flying the virtual skies again and really liked the last time I flew on the network (even though I ended up botching short final on that flight).  Though I see that the layout of a lot of the resources and such have changed.  I did read back through some of the material to refresh my mind, though a few things haven't been clearly said or haven't been covered on at all.

I noticed the pilot license system, which while I know I have been grand fathered in to have a rating suitable to flying, does this improve on it's own with successful flights or is there more to this that I am missing.

The other thing is that I took a gander at the flight planning section and eyeballed it, there are a few pieces of it that have been added in that I haven't quite figured out what it means or wants to have a plan filed correctly.  Basically just wanting to know what it wants by equipment ICAO/FAA.  As I know what the A-Z codes mean, but this one is new for me.  Thanks for reading and hope to maybe see you in the air sometime.

-insert witty aviation comment here-

Ali Badreldeen
Posted
Posted

Hi Brandon,

Welcome back to the network! Since your return, VATSIM has restructured its pilot rating system which you can read up on here. Now, you will have to undergo training for each rating with a verified VATSIM ATO (you can find more details here). 

Essentially FAA equipment suffixes are interpreted properly and preferred by all VATSIM software, however, you can use ICAO equipment codes if you wish, though you may experience some technical issues.