You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vatSys on Windows Server 2019

Ashot Hakobyan

Ashot Hakobyan
Posted
Posted

Are there plans for vatSys support on Windows Server 2019?

Untitled.png

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted

No

Jake

Developer - vatSys

image.png.3cc3dde479bc419c580ca959161ce25e.png

Ashot Hakobyan
Posted
Posted

let us know when you graduate through beta, will be glad to test on platforms other than the *chosen one*
after all, all the existing VATSIM controller software happily work almost everywhere

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
William Teale
Posted
Posted

That's a joke, right? Vatsys is hardly much more restrictive than any other ATC client.

• Confused 1

Ashot Hakobyan
Posted
Posted

No, no joke. I run Windows Server 2019 and Vatsys currently does not allow installation on that platform, yet as you say every other VATSIM client, ATC or pilot, runs well here.
Hence, my guess is, it just needs a bit more time to widen the applicable range of platforms, it is still in public beta stage.

William Teale
Posted
Posted

No, it was the "almost everywhere" part I couldn't believe was not in jest.

Presumably you could try install it anyway and see what breaks.

• Haha 1

Ashot Hakobyan
Posted
Posted

Well, you got me there, Euroscope just does not want to work in my mirowave

Ashot Hakobyan
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, William Teale said:

Presumably you could try install it anyway and see what breaks.

no, Vatsys won't let you install

William Teale
Posted
Posted

Well yeah, but that wouldn't be real hard to change for testing purposes. You just tell vatSys you are on a different OS than you really are. On a Windows platform I guess I'd use olly for that.

• Haha 1

William Teale
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Ashot Hakobyan said:

Well, you got me there, Euroscope just does not want to work in my mirowave

well case in point, ES, VRC and VatSys alike all support windows only - no mac, Linux or BSD.

• Confused 1

Ashot Hakobyan
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, William Teale said:

Well yeah, but that wouldn't be real hard to change for testing purposes. You just tell vatSys you are on a different OS than you really are. On a Windows platform I guess I'd use olly for that.

again no, you should not do that, you should respect the choice of the developer, who has decided to limit the scope of the beta testing to the approved platform
i only hope that one day, after vatsys reaches maturity, we will be given a chance to test it on other platforms and report back our findings

Edited by Ashot Hakobyan
spelling
  • Haha 1

William Teale
Posted
Posted

Its not in beta. You might be waiting a while, particularly if you aren't providing feedback about what breaks on Windows server edition.

• Confused 1

Ashot Hakobyan
Posted
Posted (edited)

it is in public beta and i did post the problem at the head of this topic

image.thumb.png.3f2ac89c94c9219c21d13f9aa6559afb.png

Edited by Ashot Hakobyan
added image
  • Thanks 1

William Teale
Posted
Posted

Well no, you posted that the installer doesnt let you install. That isnt really the kind of feedback I had in mind for what breaks. Particularly seeing as there would be any number of workarounds for that.

• Confused 1

Ashot Hakobyan
Posted
Posted

Your suggested path is ill advised. There must not be "workarounds" to what the intended use of software, this would immediately make any further testing effort counterproductive. The developer clearly states in the installation message not to go down that path, one must respect their choice.

Once again, it has been clearly stated above by the developer of vatSys that there are no plans to adopt the software to some versions of Windows. And we should humbly respect that decision. I hope we all finally understand and accept this simple fact as I did.

• Haha 1

William Teale
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Ashot Hakobyan said:

Your suggested path is ill advised. There must not be "workarounds" to what the intended use of software

Why are you running Windows Server if you arent an admin/sysop?

• Haha 1

Ashot Hakobyan
Posted
Posted

please note above vatSys does not run on Windows 7 64bit either, so let's leave it at that and let the developer carry on with the public beta testing as they panned; undoubtedly the time for adaption to other Windows platforms will come

William Teale
Posted
Posted

yknow, it doesn't run on XP or 98, either.

Ashot Hakobyan
Posted
Posted

i don't know that, i cannot verify, nor does the developer state so, but it is known not to install on Windows 8 64bit either

Liesel Downes
Posted
Posted
  • Why should Jake go into the effort of making consumer end software work on a server product. They're both Windows OSs but they're different. Just try using Edge without authorising a new IP every 5 seconds.
  • I'm fairly sure vatSys relies on technology that is only good for Windows 10, and even then, Windows 7 is out of its support lifecycle. Software developers shouldn't be making new software for it.
  • Like 1

Liesel Downes
she/her/hers