You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

First Time on VATSIM experience. SO COOL! thanks all

David McClanahan

David McClanahan
Posted
Posted (edited)

First time on VATSIM , I ended up not flying because I couldn't keep up with the Communications speed and I didn't want to ruin the experience of the other pilots and the controllers.

So I will return better prepared (with a text outline of my basic coms) , but the ATC was wonderfully patient and helpful (I think he was Jeff Schuss at KSAN , KLAX)

I am a RW Commercial Rating and CFI-G (about 4,000 hours mostly in gliders or in the tow plane) but not current, using this to refresh and get back into flying.

Questions:   I'm using MSFS 2020  and vPilot  flying the A320 (A32NX) which I am very fluent with flying and IFR (I have 400+ hours in the MSFS with IFR)

1.  Is it possible to get a Text copy of the ATC to me during the flight?

2. What do I do in MSFS to disengage the MS ATC?  I turned off the AI for everything but it still was interacting.

3. I set up the flight in MSFS and then entered the flight plan to VATSIM... the ATC changed the waypoints, SID   ... and it is difficult to change in the A320 , so is it okay to exit back to the flight setup in MSFS and then return to VATSIM ??

thanks, looking forward to lots of flying here .. 

David 

Edited by David McClanahan

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted
  1. Technology wise, yes, sure, there's text chat built into the VATSIM network protocol and all clients. Voice messages are not automatically converted into text though, and they aren't logged either, so it wouldn't be a "copy", it would be the ATC manually repeating their instruction in text. Needless to say, this is not something that's normally done, but in some situations, using text chat is a reasonable way out when voice communication fails. Some controllers will also use text chat in lieu of CPDLC/ACARS, particularly for PDC (pre-departure clearance). In principle, you can also use text for all communications; if you want to do that, put "/t/" in your remarks. Keep in mind though that most people on the network would prefer to see voice communications wherever possible - it's easier for everyone, and makes for better immersion.
  2. Sorry, can't help you with that one since I don't use MSFS.
  3. That is sort of OK in principle, but not really a solution - after all, you can also get re-routings in flight, and at least when flying in Europe, your arrival runway, approach, and STAR/Transition will only be assigned as you approach your last enroute waypoint, so being able to modify your flight plan on the fly (pun intended) is kind of critical. Unfortunately, it seems that the default aircraft in MSFS2020 can't do that, so the standing recommendation is to either buy an add-on aircraft that can do it, or use a different sim, or fly flight plans and aircraft types that don't require an FMS.
23.png

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, David McClanahan said:

I ended up not flying because I couldn't keep up with the Communications speed

That's interesting. As a commercial pilot RW you shouldn't find ATC comms difficult. So what exactly was the "comminications speed" problem? Is it simply your lack of currency?

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

David McClanahan
Posted
Posted

it's been a few years , but the main problem was my headset was hard to understand, I just today got a new better headset and will test it out tonight.

Magnus Aabye
Posted
Posted (edited)

David,

in my experience of requesting a flight clearance, I've only been given a different SID to what Navigraph & Simbrief have given me. You can change it easily though, so it appears on the ND successfully. Go to the MCDU -> F-Plan, find the departure airport (should be listed at the very top), click on it & you should have Departures option on the MCDU... then its just a case of selecting the SID that the ATC gave you. I fly the 32NX quite alot aswell, so its all those small details that make it pretty good.

Hope it helps,
Magnus

Edited by Magnus Aabye

Jasai Gatling
Posted
Posted
On 6/10/2021 at 12:50 AM, David McClanahan said:

1.  Is it possible to get a Text copy of the ATC to me during the flight?

Yes it is.

Jasai Gatling
Posted
Posted
On 6/10/2021 at 12:50 AM, David McClanahan said:

3. I set up the flight in MSFS and then entered the flight plan to VATSIM... the ATC changed the waypoints, SID   ... and it is difficult to change in the A320 , so is it okay to exit back to the flight setup in MSFS and then return to VATSIM ??

I never tryed before but go for it.

David McClanahan
Posted
Posted
On 6/10/2021 at 5:01 PM, David McClanahan said:

it's been a few years , but the main problem was my headset was hard to understand, I just today got a new better headset and will test it out tonight.

I completed a couple of flights  KSAN to KLAX and it all went smoothly, each flight was routed differently, and had different positions/frequencies with controllers.

Thanks now looking for some more complex and longer sessions.

David McClanahan
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have made 8 flights with amazing controllers (they are like the Mozart's of the airways) . I have experienced only 1 grumpy controller who hated me as a novice (? well I can understand so many requests to ";say again" ) ...  I can't believe how incredible this experience is on top of the great MSFS 2020 and the A32NX !   thanks for everyone involved and thanks to the helpful controllers ..

KBOS , KLAX, KSFO, KCLE, KCLT , KPHL

I hope to contribute some software here in the near future ... I've almost finished a AI co-pilot to handle tasks for me .. I'm open to suggestions .. I'm a (MS level) programmer and database architect. Retired and also a real commercial pilot and CFI-G have trained hundreds of glider pilots and power tow pilots. Worked at GE Aviation for many years.

Edited by David McClanahan

• David McClanahan changed the title to First Time on VATSIM experience. SO COOL I CAN'T BELIEVE IT ! thanks all
Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the community and congratulations on completing your first flights!

Each one gets easier as you get more practice, but even with all the hours I have on the network I still make a boneheaded mistake at least once every flight. 

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
On 6/10/2021 at 12:50 PM, David McClanahan said:

2. What do I do in MSFS to disengage the MS ATC?  I turned off the AI for everything but it still was interacting.

In P3d you turned the voice volume down then disabled voice, is that an option in MSFS.

• Like 1

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

• David McClanahan changed the title to First Time on VATSIM experience. SO COOL! thanks all